My elderly chicken is wasting away!

She also keeps lifting her head up high and throwing her neck around pretty dramatically like she’s trying to get food down or something but she will do it continually for like 5-10 minutes

This sounds like she could have a blockage or slow moving crop.
Is her crop empty in the morning before she eats or drinks?
Is she pooping? What do they look like?
This is an article by azygous that helped me with one of my older hens. Maybe she will chime in.
Good luck!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you. I kept her on layer because she does pop out an egg every month or so lol she was never a regular layer. Do you have a feed you could recommend?
I recommend flock raiser from Purina. All My birds are on it and doing great. It's 20% protein so it will give her a boost

If she's still laying, she can stay on layer. It's impressive at her age!
Yes sometimes they lay a bit still as they age. I have an 8 yr old and 2 7yr olds that have each laid about a dozen eggs each over the last 3 or so weeks. The amazing thing is they were perfect! They shells were nice and thick. So sometimes the older girls will still give a few even as they age. :)

I would agree that she is getting old at 8, but it is nice that she still lays the occasional egg. Do you provide granite poultry grit to help her gizzard grind up the corn and foods other than layer feed? Check her crop in the early morning before she eats or drinks to make sure that her crop is emptying overnight. They will adjust their crop sometimes when something is lingering inside their crop.

Back
Top Bottom