My Eleanor Sulphur Crested Cockatoo Molly

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by CosmoTheRooster, Aug 18, 2013.

  1. CosmoTheRooster

    CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

    73
    5
    33
    May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    WOW! I have always been on here for my backyard flock, never did I know there were forums for parrots on here. This isn't really a question, it's more of an introduction of my friend Molly. She is an Eleanor Sulphur Crested Cockatoo. She is 7 years old. She eats and drinks most of what my family eats and drinks, including coffee, sugar, meat, anything sweet, etc...You name it she has probably consumed it. I know it is unhealthy for her to be consuming these things, but she is a healthier cockatoo than most domestic cockatoos. There is a load of things to go on and on about with her, but I just wanted to have a short bio of her on here.

    She had the leftovers of some chocolate pudding an hour ago.

    [​IMG]


    -Cosmo
     
  2. Naunnie

    Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

    208
    18
    73
    Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Nice to meet you Molly![​IMG] Looking forward to reading more about Ms. Molly!
     
  3. CosmoTheRooster

    CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

    73
    5
    33
    May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, do you have a parrot?
     
  4. addicted2chics

    addicted2chics Out Of The Brooder

    54
    1
    41
    Jul 3, 2013
    It's nice to meet Molly!!!!!!

    I have a 7 year old Scarlet MCcaw named Kevin. She is loud and obnoxious but we love her. As you can see by the photo of her eating a chicken leg, she also eats what we eat. Surprisingly enough, she eats human food at the vets recomendation. He said if I eat it and she wants it, feed it to her. Said her diet should be about 70 percent of what we eat and the other 30% seeds and nuts. He said not to feed her chocolate or avacado as there are things in them that can harm birds. And yes its a female bird named Kevin. We bought her shortly after watching the movie "UP". If you have seen the movie you know why we named her Kevin.

    [​IMG]
     
  5. CosmoTheRooster

    CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

    73
    5
    33
    May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Wow! Neat! I thought I was bad letting my parrot eat like a person, I guess not [​IMG]. I would love to hear more about Kevin, I LOVE everything about birds, especially larger parrots. I need to take some new pictures of her soon so I can post them on here. Also, if you wouldn't mind, tell me about owning a macaw. I am just curious, Molly is pretty small compared to most macaws, but I still have to care for her like a baby. I think about the difference in having a parrot the size of a small dog and a cockatoo[​IMG]. Has Kevin ever been around other birds? Molly has seen other parrots at the vet, and my chickens. She doesn't seem to have a whole lot of interest in them, I would enjoy hearing you and Kevin's experiences with other birds if you have any!

    I look forward to talking about our parrots on here

    -Cosmo [​IMG]
     
  6. addicted2chics

    addicted2chics Out Of The Brooder

    54
    1
    41
    Jul 3, 2013
    We have 5 cockatiels in addition to Kevin. She doesnt care for them too much, not sure why. She is really aggressive toward them. When we take her out by the chicken coop, she is always talking to the chickens trying to get them to come with us.
    The lady we got her from also had a Blue and Gold. Kevid shared a perch with the other bird and they got along fine.
     
  7. CosmoTheRooster

    CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

    73
    5
    33
    May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    That's funny that she talks to the chickens. Molly is jealous of every other bird she sees, she barks(because of our dog)at the chickens. The only time she really interacted closely with other parrots is when she was born at the breeders house(we got her when she was 4 months old).

    -Cosmo
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by