My electrified poultry fencing arrived today... PICS page 2!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenannie, Dec 26, 2009.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I am going to be fencing in my formerly free-range turkeys and chickens (separately) with a coop and a 100-foot Premier netting fence. I am completely un-handy, so wish me luck!!! Since the weather suddenly warmed up to a nice 45 degrees, I'm determined to start the setup today. I got this netting and a plug-in power source because it says one person can carry the portable net and install it easily, but I am clueless about electric fencing, carpentry, wiring etc. Aaaackkk. The premier guys said I could call them for help, so I'm sure I'll be out there with my cell phone trying to unravel everything. I'll take some pics and keep you posted with my progress. Anyone have advice on this type of setup?

Also, I don't really get how it works with snow fall. Anyone have problems with the fence in snow?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It might be hard to install if the ground is frozen and you might have sagging problems. It's good stuff though! Good luck putting it up!

3. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    The ground seems to have thawed today with all the warm rain. I got the "permanet" that is made for wintertime and is supposed to not sag even with ice on it. I also got a couple of extra large posts to hold it up more. It is stronger than the regular netting. I also got the double spike posts that I am hoping will be easier to push into the ground since you can put your feet on the little crosspiece.

4. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    OK, I'm already intimidated by this fencing project, just opening the box!!! See pics below. Too many parts. I can do a lot of things, but handy-construction stuff is NOT one of them. I guess I just need to take this thing outside, and figure it out by trial and error. And wear my rubber boots so I don't get shocked!.

Netting revealed, box unpacked (that little yellow tag says Warning! Electric Fence!:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  5. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It doesn't zap you until you plug it in and you don't do that until it's set up.

6. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    thanks. seriously I need all the encouragement I can get! [​IMG]

7. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    You'll be okay. The stuff isn't as scary as it looks. [​IMG]

8. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I put up the non-electric part of the fencing. It was easy! I'm glad I got the 100-foot length because it's barely long enough. the only problem is it was pretty heavy to carry. I'm tall and I think a petite person could not have carried the netting around well. It got too dark, otherwise I would've put pics up. I'll post tommorrow. Tommorrow I'll try to figure out the hard part (the electric charge hookup). I have 2 separate fenced areas, so I got a 100-foot cable to run in between to keep them hot.

The other hard part is figuring out all the little issues that come up. For example, what to do where there is a concrete pad.

I'm sure this seems easy to some of you, but I'm posting this for the construction-challenged, like myself!

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Before you start, you ought to set your 4 corner posts and also your two gate posts. I would set the corner posts in cement using a post hole digger, and I would make them 6 ft above ground, so buy them as 8 ft pieces. Reason is that if you decide that fence is too short, you can more easily add height to it later. Far easier to stretch that fencing taut with 4 firm corner posts to pull from.

Reason I say this is that I did a 6 ft fence to discourage my chooks from flying out, and it works. (wouldn't work on banties tho) I electrified it too, with 4 courses of hot wire all around. I set it in cement to discourage digging.

I have the utmost respect for predators and for their patience, cunning and resolve. [​IMG]

10. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Have you gone to the premier website and watched the installation videos? I highly recommend them. It all makes sense when you can watch someone else put it up.

I have the solar panel energizer and four section of fence, one heavy duty and three regular. I love them!

We don't have a gate, I turn off the energizer and step over it.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by