1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Emus Have Gone

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Supreme Emu, May 7, 2011.

1. Supreme Emu

Supreme Emu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    My emus both disappeared about a week ago.

Readers may remember that about a year ago I tried to 'rehabilitate' them, but they came home. However, they are fully adult now; breeding season has begun; the drought has broken and there's good feed around. So, I don't think they've had an accident. I think they've gone off to mate.

I am sure they'll turn up some time; but it will be lonely here for a while. I am so used to Felicity walking through the car port, and Greedy sticking her beak up against the lounge room window. I've fed them twice a day for over eight hundred days; but it is a good thing for them.

Supreme Emu

2. foulman007

foulman007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    well the good thing is they will be back in a few months with more chicks in tow. right?

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Awwww, they'll be back. They know where they're safe. [​IMG]

4. Supreme Emu

Supreme Emu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    I've thought about that, Foulman: they're both females!

And yes, Chickenzoo (I've finally figured out the Names Thing, but I'll always think of you as 'Emu Hugger'), they will come back; but I'm not sure they'll ever again base themselves around the house as they used to.

Supreme Emu

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I think when they get the craving for juicy figs they'll bring the whole new family. [​IMG] And I never minded you calling me Emu Hugger [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by