My encounter with Swans! (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by Chiko, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I was at the aviary today and was really interested in the Swans. The aviary only had 3 exhibits of swans but that was enough! These birds are amazing! There was a pair of Black Necked Swans, a baby Black Necked Swan, and a pair of Whooper swans with their new baby! Here are some pics.

Black Necked Swans!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The mommy is broody. You can see in the first picture the one in the background is on a nest. The aviary staff said that she has hatched out cygnets before but she was a terrible mother so they took it in and are fostering it. I got a picture of that one to! Here it is.!
    [​IMG] Note: The cygnet is the one outside of the crate. He's was preening for like an hour and I couldn't get his attention. So this is the best we could do. FYI He was born on April 10th 2011 [​IMG]

~Whooper Swans!~

These are the guys that have a cygnet. Look for the baby lol he is the little white thing. Sorry my cameras zoom was broken!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] << With a bunch of ducks!

[​IMG]

I hope everyone enjoyed my pictures!!! Check out the Peafowl section for my other post of peacocks I found. It's titled, "My encounter with Peacocks! (PIC HEAVY) Thank you!

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hee hee, Tracy Aviary, right? Used to work there. The black necks were pretty hissy to work with, but the trumpeters were sweet as can be. [​IMG]
    Stick around the area between the black necks and the Argentine Adventure during the summer months. There are almost always signets that need to be hand-raised, and they pull out the kiddie pool in that area, and you can watch them swim, graze, and play.

3. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Awesome Yeah it is Tracy Aviary. Theres some construction going on but it's still fun. I love the Black Necked Swans. Love the male he's friendly [​IMG]

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Huh, I wonder if they got a new male? He used to charge every chance he got. XD

5. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    The black necks are meanies, they charge every time you go near their cage. Tracy Aviary is the best. If you've never been there, you definitely should visit.

6. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Quote:The mom was meaner while the male was really nice [​IMG] I agree Tracy Aviary is amazing!

7. theparrotletdude

theparrotletdude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Awww. I have two pacific parrotlets but soon we are getting chickens and ducks etc. Where is Tracy Aviary?

8. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Quote:Tracy Aviary is in Salt Lake City Utah. In the middle of Liberty Park. Woohoo! Chickens and ducks are so fun! You won't regret getting them [​IMG]

9. cdover15

cdover15 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    swans are gorgeous! i know nothing about them but everytime i see them i always stop and stare!!

10. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Those Black Necked Swans are really beautiful. I've never seen those before. I first saw swans when I was in London a few years ago. They are all over the place there and HUGE. They were Mute Swans I believe. They were so awesome! I spent a lot of time watching them. A little scary when they are close and on land because they really are big and when they flap their wings and stand they are as big as a person. I wish there was a cool place with swans near me.
    -Cielo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by