My ex died

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HHandbasket, Dec 14, 2010.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I got a phone call a few hours ago that my ex-husband, my first love, my high-school sweetheart, and the father of my two children, died this afternoon.

We were not on the best of terms but not the worst of terms, either. He was 49. I've known him since I was 13 years old and he was 14, and I am deeply troubled by his passing.

Our two sons, now ages 25 and 23, did not have a very good relationship with their father. The oldest one really didn't have a relationship with him at all, and Alfred always thought he could make things right with his boys "someday". Well, someday never came.

My DH is very understanding of my grief (we have been together almost 9 years--my ex and I have not been together for more than 22 years). I am so blessed and so grateful to have the husband I have.

I don't even know how to feel right now. This is just hard, but especially for my boys.

Alfred had a daughter with his second wife, and his little girl died from leukemia three years ago when she was 16. It comforts me to know they are together now.

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] I am sorry....

3. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    [​IMG]

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I'm sorry. I think it says a lot about the kind of person that you are for you to be sad. Some people hate their ex's and forget that they were still an important part of their life...good or bad.
    sharon

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  5. Adora

Adora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Southeast NC
    Aww, I'm sending hugs your way [​IMG]
    I'm sorry that you and your family have to go thru this, I couldn't imagine if this happened to me, and having to tell my son about it. Me and my son's father have been separated almost 3 years now, and I still love him something fierce.

6. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    I'm so very sorry. I was in the same place you are Dec 16th of last year and can relate to some of the feelings you're having.

You sound like a very kind, warm-hearted and insightful woman. You'll know the words to help your sons, and yourself.

I hope you all find comfort in some good memories of the past. [​IMG]

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Quote:X2

8. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    So very sorry for your and your sons loss. [​IMG]

My husbands 2 girls 18 and 20 won't talk to him or me. My husband does not understand what he did so wrong to deserve that either it is really hard on him. A lot of time things are taken for granted and it is really sad when it is someone so close to you, cause when they are gone it is too late and you will feel absolutely terrible. I don't know if that is the case with your sons but I hope they don't beat themselves up about it.

9. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Thank you all. This is just so weird and awful. He has been in the hospital for a couple of weeks but was doing better, or so we thought. His appendix burst on November 11th, and he was very obese and was a heavy drinker so he did not recover.

10. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I'm so sorry. I lost a family member tonight, too.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by