1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My experience integrating new chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Poppycock, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    I thought I'd share what we did to integrate 18 month old hens with new pullets (16-20 weeks old). We put pinless peepers on the 4 "old" hens and took them out to the garden beds to look for bugs and worms. Then we let the new pullets into the coop and run to explore, find the food and water and get used to their new surroundings without the ladies around. After a few hours we let the old ones back in and then we sat back and observed. We made sure there were lots of different places with BOSS semi covered by dirt for scratching, and had two food and water stations so there was plenty for all. There was a little chasing off and a few head pecks from the older hens, but relatively little drama. Over the next few days, they had established the new pecking order and things seem to have gone well. They have been together for almost 4 weeks now. The peepers are still on (I'm kind of nervous to take them off). I was really nervous to integrate the new chickens after reading all the nasty things that others have had to deal with, but I'm a believer in the peepers!

2. blurose

blurose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Winston, Oregon
    OK, I've had chickens for years, have been a member of BYC since 2001 but I don't have a clue what "peepers" are. [​IMG] Please explain. [​IMG] Goes to show, you never stop learning. [​IMG]

3. Poppycock

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    They are like blinders. Mine are blue plastic with little prongs that fit inside their nostrils (nares I think is the technical word) that allow them to see down, up, and to the side, but are blocked from seeing what is directly in front of them. I had a featherpicking problem last year and someone on BYC recommended trying them. If you search "pinless peepers" you should get some hits on here that tell other people's experiences with them.

4. Poppycock

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
  5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    O.k. now that i know what peepers are - i wasn't sure either - what is BOSS? I don't think i've ever heard of that until today, and i've read it three or four times now.

6. Poppycock

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    BOSS is black oil sunflower seeds. Mine LOVE it!!!

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by