My experience w/ a head injury..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RachelLeigh, Mar 10, 2015.

1. RachelLeigh

RachelLeigh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    Call it crook neck or wry neck, I do know, but my beautiful, perfect, clear, buff pullet got to go to the big girl pen and was pecked at by a grumpy broody. I put her back in the brooder with the others and later noticed she was getting stepped on.

She was having seizures and cramps in her neck, and her whole body tensed up...then she would relax. Ive read in the past on here that wry neck can be a result in injury and this little beauty did have a vault at birth and I should have been thinking about that when I sat her down in the coop.

So before I saw her seizures, I was wondering how vitamins and minerals can help bring them out of "wry neck", from an injury. Well, the vitamins are to heal and protect in times of stress so her brain can heal. They cant eat so its liquid diet for a while if they are going to pull out of it. Will take a while every time, is my guess. It's a brain injury. I held her at my chest, not kidding, half the night, in between my ... lol and I have her wrapped in a paper towel to keep mess off of me, and her snug for when she cramps up and convulses. In this position, her neck stays straight. But I do have to help her neck even in this position. She makes the smallest little raptor sounds...really pretty. Same song sound every time. I'm getting attached.

The straighter you keep their body and neck, the better chances for survival. And a liquid diet. Im going to add some bentonite clay to the water, a tiny bit to ace as grit. I am giving poly vi sol and the vitamins in that are amazing and it already has a ton of vitamin a. Selenium, Im not sure of yet, but it cant hurt so I am dropping it to her mouth with water mixed and she is drinking it. Its yeast so I need to know more about what yeast does to a chickens body...glad I don't have to work today.Takes a tiny dropper and barely squeeze it so she starts her mouth moving, other wise its like prying open a moving oyster.

We need to do more searches for which vitamins might help seizure, cramps, and convulsions. I'm on it!

2. RachelLeigh

Mar 2, 2015
    I didn't expect this and wasn't prepared. Her head is up and she is in a cage eating. Her head will still fall but she is eating! I have kept her wrapped in a paper towel next to me. It was the only way to be hands free while I could brace her head while she seized up. This experience was like chick ER. The neck support is the key to their life as long as the liquid force feeding works. Its like their tiny beaks fill up with liquid like a fountain pen. Then they use their tongue to swallow and will easily get choked so it IS a tedious.

3. RachelLeigh

Mar 2, 2015
    Also folic acid and B vitamins are critical for brain injury.

4. RachelLeigh

Mar 2, 2015
    At this point, I have put the chick back in the coop with the rest of the young ones. It's head no longer falls. I do still see it running in circles though some. I'm not giving it anything special now. Yay! wry neck no more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by