My experience with BOSS--Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by msgenie516, Dec 16, 2008.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I just couldn't believe this! I had read so many posts on BYC about how good Black Oil Sunflower Seeds are for the chickens, so I thought I would try some. I didn't want to buy a large bag just in case they didn't like them, so I bought a few pounds loose.

Well, I offered them some in my hand and they went crazy over them. So I decided that I would sprinkle some on the food. Then they didn't want them at all! They ate around them and one hen actually walked away from the food--I think they are spoiled!

I know I'm not buying a large bag, as I would have to feed them all by hand. Just thought I'd let you know! Genie

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Wow. My chickens love them. I don't put it in/on there food though. I just throw it in the run on the ground and they go crazy. I guess your chickens are spoiled.... [​IMG]

3. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

I "serve" them a 50/50 mix of cracked corn and BOSS in a metal bird cage dish that sits in a ring clipped to the side of their run.

I've also tried adding them to their feed, but they seem to prefer getting them seprate because they clean out the dish within 10 minutes, and when I added them to their feed they were not so eager.

Phyllis

4. lobb40118

lobb40118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    For my peafowl I mix black oil sunflower seeds, game bird pellets, chick starter mash and shelled whole corn. They eat the BOSS first. I feed my pullets layer mash and throw them the daily handfull of scratch and they tear up the scratch. I just threw my pullets a handfull of the peafowl mix and they went nuts they love the mixture. I might give them the peafowl mix once a week or so just because whole corn is probably not good for them everyday.

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

It took my hens a while to get used to BOSS. Now they gobble the seeds up, but it took them a while to develop a taste for them.

6. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Quote:Same here. I just toss them here and there on the ground.

And mine prefer to eat EVERYTHING out of my hand - including their own feed. Try just throwing the seeds on the ground - once they figure out you're not going to hand feed them, they may eat them just fine off the ground [​IMG]

Penny

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Mine are out there gobbling them up off the ground as I type this. They love them!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I serve them two ways. On the ground, to give them something to do and sometimes mixed in with their warm corn mash.

9. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I was skeptical about the BOSS so I tried a small bag as well. OMG, the hogs! [​IMG]

I also mix horse grain & cracked corn with the BOSS. They always eat the BOSS first & then the rest after they can't find anymore of the BOSS.

Their ultimate fave is shelled sunflower seeds! Rather expensive but a very nice treat for them! [​IMG]

10. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I throw them in the leaves we have piled in the run to keep them busy on days I cannot let them free range. I sometimes mix it with regular bird seed and/or scratch. All 9 of mine will hunt for them for hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by