1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Experimental/Mad Scientist Breed Project

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Cherie1n2, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Cherie1n2

Cherie1n2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2014
    Upstate South Carolina
    I thought I'd start a thread to keep up with my concept chicken. I know certain characteristics (ingredients) that I want.. And I've started putting together my foundation flock.

This is a very rough incomplete draft of what I'm going for.

Must be:
    - 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall and very erect posture with unusually long legs.
    -Split large comb
    -Full beard and muff
    -Pronounced brow
    -Short curved beak
    -Tail carried below the horizon
    -heavy (Boule) hackle
    -Feathers short
    -wings carried high.
    -Willow or Slate legs

..havnt decided on color. I'm leaning towards blue laced red.

The following is draft 1.. I need to work on the drawing a lot.. But you kinda get the idea.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sounds neat! I'd love to follow your progress and see if it comes to fruition. And you're quite good at drawing chickens :)

3. Cherie1n2

May 5, 2014
    Upstate South Carolina
    Pyxis, you're welcome to follow. I'll post updates as I get results.. Should be fun either way.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. collie1470

collie1470 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2015
    Wilton, ME
    I'm glad to have found BYC, and to know I'm not the only one who comes up with chicken mashups. My fiance just stares at me as I have notebooks all over with tons of lists as I work on figuring out which breeds would be best to use for my uh....concoctions lol.

5. Cherie1n2

May 5, 2014
    Upstate South Carolina

Feel free to share your ideas!!! The beauty of chickens is the variability and usefulness!!

I just put up one of my first groups in my project. I have a Hmong/longtail cockerel who will be old enough in a few months to breed with my silver Malay, wheaten Saipan, Buttercup, and recessive white shamo.. I'm isolating for fibromelanotic skin, size, Posture, split comb, pronounced brow, and short beak in that group..

These are a few pictures of the cockerel.. A single copy fibro has a purple look.. A double copy and everything is black except the feathers..the beak(inside and out), skin, combs/waddles, and even meat are all black.. If I can get the beak short enough I'm hopeful for a reptilian appearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  6. Ecophreek

Ecophreek Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2015
    Nashville TN
    Question for OP:
    What breeds will you be incorporating to get the comb and brow?

7. Cherie1n2

May 5, 2014
    Upstate South Carolina

The comb im using sician Buttercup and polish. Houdans have too many heath issues. I worry about both those breeds bringing down my overall size and upright posture.. So its going to be mass production and hard culling from those lines. Fortunately split comb in both forms is incomplete dominant over unsplit so I can cull early. It helps I also have many reptiles that like day old chicks. My f1 splits off Saipan and Buttercup are hatching starting yesterday through mid October so hopefully I can start selective breeding them in the spring.

The brow I'm using Russian Orloff, Saipan, and Malay..they also have high upright carriage.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  8. Ecophreek

Ecophreek Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2015
    Nashville TN
    So, your Malay, Saipan, Buttercup, and Shamo are hens?
    The new chicks are split Hmong/Saipan and Hmong/Buttercup right?

Very interested in comb genetics, have gone over the forums for information with a fine toothed comb (pun unintended), apparently have to go over it again due to missing the tidbit about incomplete dominance of the split comb trait.

Wouldn't the rose comb give you the long tail to the rear of the comb and the bumps needed to get the "antlers"? Is a split rose comb even possible? Also La Flèche seem to have longer split combs (more so than Houdans) without the health issues it would seem.

Sorry for all the questions, am new to chickens. Don't even have any and am already addicted. JC said I could get a few after I read up on everything. Doesn't know what he started, right? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  9. Cherie1n2

May 5, 2014
    Upstate South Carolina

I have both genders in Malay, orloff, and Saipan. The Buttercup and Shamo only hens. The chicks I'm hatching now are Buttercup/Saipan as size is one of my biggest concerns. I will find a few articles on Dv and Dc (the split trait) and post links here for you. And yes, split pea makes the actual V shaped split.. But as an incomplete it may be anything from partial to dented to all the way split. I will use f1 with visible split characteristics bred together to get 1 in 4 that should have double copies in f2. Those will then be test bred to whatever my next phase would be and splits to splits until my final product is homozygous for split.

10. Cherie1n2

May 5, 2014
    Upstate South Carolina
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2013691
    That is a link for duplex gene.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is an example of incomplete dominant. It is polish Turken cross. You can see how the split looks like a chewed up Buttercup. The duplex is acting on a straight comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by