my extreme heat coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gallo del Cielo, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I finally got my BYC page started and nearly finished. I built a coop and run designed to keep my birds cool in the heat of Southern AZ. I gleaned BYC for months to get ideas, many of which materialized in my coop. I put the pictures of coop construction on my BYC page. Beware, it is pic heavy.
    Thanks to all the people who shared ways to keep their birds cool. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Wow! This coop is amazing, especially here where it is so hot. I love all the greenery!

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, that is excellent!

4. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    You have put a lot of thought into the chook coop/run - it's great!!
    The greenery just makes it look so inviting. [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Wonderful design features! I particularly like the shade tarps on the side that allow air flow behind them. And the radiant barrier insulation under your roof is a great idea, too. I wish I had seen your coop before I built my little winter coop; I would have swiped some of your ideas!

6. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    I love it!!...thanks for sharing.

[​IMG]

7. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Just curious, how much did it end up costing you to build this magnificant coop??

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Twice as much as I expected! [​IMG] Actually, I'm not exactly sure how much it cost as I haven't added it all up. It's better that my wife doesn't know [​IMG]. I also used some materials left over from other projects (boards, screws, staples, shade cloth, etc.) and people gave me materials (blocks for foundation, wood, etc). However, I tried to keep a rough estimate of what it would cost and I think the coop has somewhere about $400 in materials and the run probably has $300 in materials (these numbers might actually be a bit high). The most expensive part was the wire. I went with 1x2 14 gauge wire rather than wire with larger holes or higher gauge to keep out birds and canines, respectively. The sad thing is, the sparrows can still fit through the 1X2 wire [​IMG] I'm currently working on resolving that problem.

The funny thing about our whole chicken adventure is that we got them to fulfill a promise made to our daughter years ago. I never expected to fall for them so hard. Darn birds are spoiled rotten.

Thanks for the wonderful comments everyone.

9. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I keep thinking about the shade cloth over the side of the coop. Does it help? I think we could pull off something like that on ours... it wouldn't look nearly as good though!

10. ckkevin

ckkevin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I like your design. What did you plant to cover the run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by