My eye hurts so much. Dacryocistitis

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by FoodKillah, Dec 22, 2010.

1. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    OMG it hurts, 4:30 i woke up in pain. I am one step from running all around the yard to hopefully knock my head to a tree or take off and land on a rock.

My tear sac blocked about a week ago, it happens the last 10 years but this time it got worse, it doesnt seem to unblock by itself, i visited a ear nose and throat doctor and gave me antibiotics pills and eye drops that i started taking today, the eye drops dont work because the tear sac is blocked and doesnt suck any of it. It seems swallen to the touch. That doctor told me if it gets better i should visit an ophthalmologist to get something from my eye to my nose to try to unblock it and if that doesnt work i will need a surgery!

The pain is 10 times worse than the worst tooth pain and its all around the eye, i took 2 painkillers but that doesnt take that pain away. I think i will get another one.

It really really HURTS. It drives me nuts! I feel like if i stick a fork in my eye and take it out, i would feel better.

And all that now 2 days from cristmass

BTW off topic but its 4:47 now and my rooster just started to crow

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am so sorry that you are in this much pain. Remembering that it will pass helps a little. But I understand how uncomfortable you are in the meantime. All I can give you right now is a [​IMG]

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Oh my goodness [​IMG]

Maybe a hot compress? Hot washcloth press up near the blocked duct?

[​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Are you taking antibiotics in case you have an infection. That's a very dangerous area to have an infection.

You may need to have an IV placed in a ER setting.

Then you eventually have to have a tube placed..

My son went through this.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Saw plenty of this when I worked in ophthalmology. Skip the ear-nose-throat guy and head straight to the ophthalmologist. It needs to get unblocked and get all the gunk and infection cleaned out and cleared up. And as was already mentioned if this is recurrent you may need a tube placed. But again, an ophthalmologist is where you need to be.

6. melissa41927

melissa41927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    northeast corner al
    have you tried doing a tear duct massage on them? my son had blocked tear ducts and constant sinus infections, the doctor showed me how to do the duct massage to help unblock the duct. here a the web site that gives the instructions.

http://www.cssd.us/body.cfm?id=801

hope this helps.

7. FoodKillah

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Thanks for your support, yes i take antibiotics in pills and in useless eye drops (imo useless, maybe not) because its infected with who knows what.

With the hot compresses i feel better talking about the pain but i cannot have a hot compress all the time.

I am very worried that this time it just did not pass on its own and i had to go to the doctor for this to find out i might need a surgery. I searched and found this endoscopic surgery in youtube and google video and the general anesthesia worries me alot because i never had a general anesthesia before. It scares me, like i have to volunteer to death for some time [​IMG]

I also dont like the doctors and medicine, i mean not all doctors, the ones i have to visit. My experience in hospitals is only from accidents i had in the past, but never because of something like this. I cant let myself believe that i have this condition. I mean how did i get something thats called dacryocystitis out of nowhere, why my tear sac blocked, uhh

That pain is killing me

I hope that antibiotics work and i hope the ophthalmologist will do something to cure that thing so i can avoid the general anesthisia and surgery (surgery doesnt really scare me only the anesthesia) if i was on a bed and cannot help myself, i would not worry about the surgery, i dont know what it is like.

Thanks again, i think now its time to get the other painkiller i said in the last post.

8. FoodKillah

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Quote:Does that tube thing needs a surgery or general anesthesia? I went to that doctor because i thought he performs that surgery that i watched on the internet, i am propably a bit paranoid. Please tell me if you know, do i have to wait for the infection to heal and then go like the other doctor claimed, or should i hurry and go to the ophthalmologist even today?

Quote:It helps, because i just learned i was massaging the wrong way all these years!!!! I was giving pressure from the nose to the eye. But right now i think am not in condition to do this, maybe i will give it a try instead of taking my eye out with a fork like i said. Thank you

9. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    surgery's nothing, you go to sleep and you wake up!

I'd think it'd be better than dealing with the pain.

Hope you find relief soon!

10. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I've had that a few times. I don't know if it was as bad as yours though. Went to an ophthalmologist and he just had me put a wet rag that was as warm as I could be comfortable with on it. Then massages the eye towards the nose to push the stuff out. Took a week or so but it went away.

It drove me nuts and it made me look like a caveman. Good luck. Surgery isn't bad. I've had 8 of them and woke up every time. The only bad part is recovering from the anesthesia. Takes about 1 hour unless they gave you too much. If you have asthma be sure to take your inhaler.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by