my 'failure to thrive' roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Aug 24, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    this little guy is (believe it or not) 6 months old. in one of the pics you can see his 'big brother' in the background (hatched out the same day)

will he ever get any bigger...or stronger? is there any special treatment i can give him? i shall find the link to my original thread so you know a bit more about his background

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Has he been dewormed recently?

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I read the other thread. If you use the same thing to deworm all the time, you could have some resistant parasites, you might try something else. Also, if he's getting recurrent coccidia - what are you using to treat that? Most over the counter coccia treatments are coccidiostatic, meaning that it doesn't allow the coccidia to reproduce in the bird's system, but it doesn't do anything to kill what's there either. You need to find a coccidiocidal medication (which are hard to find and expensive - have to get it through the vet school here). Also, if he is steadily declining, and pale, the coccidia could have already done enough damage to his intestines that he could have a bleeding perforation in his intestinal tract. Good luck with him!!

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    he doesnt get any worse but has never got any better....hes had cocci once for sure but i treat the water now every 2 weeks as a preventative (we use ESB-3 and baycox here in belgium for chickens )

he's the only one with this problem so im reluctant to think its a disease or worms...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by