1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My faithful laying runner is dead...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by scrapmom5, Oct 14, 2008.

1. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I went to go check on the hens and ducks this morning to find my runner, Quackers, dead. Her head was mutilated but still attached and her beak was gone. She had been disemboweled and her egg was sitting right next to her. We feel horrible. She and her mate, Snowflake, were very friendly and awesome ducks. Snowflake is shaken. He won't eat and sits and quacks all the time. I am hoping to find a new home for him so he won't be so lonely. I think my neighbor will take him.

I suspect it may be a raccoon but am not sure. I Don't see tracks, but then again we had a really heavy snowfall over the weekend and so now everything is one giant mud puddle. We are setting the trap tonight to get rid of those creatures. They are such a nuisance. They have even clawed their way through my neighbors garage door just to get food.

I am still shaking from the trama. My Dh says he will take care of her body for me. I should probably go cover her up though.

Thanks for listening.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I'm so sorry. It's always hard to lose one especially if it was part of a pair. I would be heartbroken.

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Oh I hate hearing stories like that. I'm so sorry!! That must have been terrible to find. :aww

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry to hear about Quackers. I hope you can find the mate a loving home with other ducks. R.I.P. Quackers.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    HUGS... this is such sad news. I'm sorry to hear it.

6. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! I hope you're successful in trapping whatever it was that got her. My thoughts are with you... I have a young duck that I also call Quackers.

{{{ Hugs }}}

7. hoosiergal

hoosiergal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    indiana
    I am sorry to hear of your loss. have found a lot of my chicks with no head, or a head with no body. it is devastating. Sorry for your loss.

8. aSliceOfLife

aSliceOfLife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2007
    Escondido, CA
    Oh I am sooooo sorry to hear about Quackers. Most people don't understand how chickens and ducks can be pets as much as cats and dogs. I also have a duck named Quackers, and she actually is a mallard who was hatched under my silkie chicken this past Easter. My neighbor's grandson found an abandoned egg on the embankment of our local duck pond and brought it to me to "save it." Figuring that it probably had been out too long or perhaps not fertilized, I granted his request by placing the egg under my silkie and by George, you should have seen my face 30 days later when Roberta had a little ducky peeking out underneath her. I took a photo and I'll see it I can post it.

But back to your Quackers, I hope that your mate can find another duck since ducks mate for life. Hopefully you can help him through his suffering and he can helf you through yours. [​IMG]

9. aSliceOfLife

aSliceOfLife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2007
    Escondido, CA
    Here's the birth announcement when my Quackers was born:
    [​IMG]

10. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Such sad news.[​IMG] Sending you a hug.[​IMG]
    I hope you can catch the rascal who did this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by