My faithful laying runner is dead...

scrapmom5

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Utah
I went to go check on the hens and ducks this morning to find my runner, Quackers, dead. Her head was mutilated but still attached and her beak was gone. She had been disemboweled and her egg was sitting right next to her. We feel horrible. She and her mate, Snowflake, were very friendly and awesome ducks. Snowflake is shaken. He won't eat and sits and quacks all the time. I am hoping to find a new home for him so he won't be so lonely. I think my neighbor will take him.

I suspect it may be a raccoon but am not sure. I Don't see tracks, but then again we had a really heavy snowfall over the weekend and so now everything is one giant mud puddle. We are setting the trap tonight to get rid of those creatures. They are such a nuisance. They have even clawed their way through my neighbors garage door just to get food.

I am still shaking from the trama. My Dh says he will take care of her body for me. I should probably go cover her up though.

Thanks for listening.

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! I hope you're successful in trapping whatever it was that got her. My thoughts are with you... I have a young duck that I also call Quackers.

{{{ Hugs }}}

I am sorry to hear of your loss. have found a lot of my chicks with no head, or a head with no body. it is devastating. Sorry for your loss.

Oh I am sooooo sorry to hear about Quackers. Most people don't understand how chickens and ducks can be pets as much as cats and dogs. I also have a duck named Quackers, and she actually is a mallard who was hatched under my silkie chicken this past Easter. My neighbor's grandson found an abandoned egg on the embankment of our local duck pond and brought it to me to "save it." Figuring that it probably had been out too long or perhaps not fertilized, I granted his request by placing the egg under my silkie and by George, you should have seen my face 30 days later when Roberta had a little ducky peeking out underneath her. I took a photo and I'll see it I can post it.

But back to your Quackers, I hope that your mate can find another duck since ducks mate for life. Hopefully you can help him through his suffering and he can helf you through yours.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom