My Family And I Want To Start A Flock!!!

Quote:
I have a tiny little Black Tail Buff Jap pullet. She thinks she's a big bird and hangs out with the Maranas, Welsummers, Ameraucanas, Rocks and one blue Jersey Giant. She's really really dinky compared to them. Actually dinky compared to my other bantams. As far as other hens they would be fine, but a big difference between hen and rooster could probably cause her injury. Roosters are pretty straight on breeders. Their brains stop and they go into breeding mode.

OK
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from California.

You've gotten some good suggestions and even the ones I haven't be thrilled with, others seem to be. I think of all my roosters, my Black Copper Marans have always been my biggest and gentlest. I'm raising my just turn 6 yr old (New Years Eve)grand daughter and she can scoop them up like puppies and carry them around. She's been doing it since she was 3.

Since you have had more breeds suggested to you, I want to suggest a few things. You need to decide on buying from hatcheries or breeders. There are differences. One biggie and everyone will agree is the difference in what the sell as an Americuana. The breeders sell Ameraucanas. The first one is a mix of the latter with another breed. Figured I'd get this out of the way now. LOL Either bird is great depending on what you want. If you think you may want to sell some purebred chicks or you and the kids decide to incubate, you may want to make sure you have at least one or two hens the same breed as your rooster. You could sell mixed chicks, but you'll do it cheaper and with the same investment of time and feed as with a purbred chick. Hatchery chicks compared to breeder quality chicks will also sell for less. Other then the initial price, everything else will cost you the same amoutn of money. Just something to think about. Also, you are on a great site to find breeds of the breeds you're looking for.

Visit your state thread and find out what others in your area are doing as far as shelter, buying feed, the breeds that do the best in your climit. Plus, you can never have too many chicken loving friends, cause your other friends are gonna think you're nutz! And study chicken math! It's very important and it rarely envolved division or subtaction. Look up poultry shows and you'll be able to see the breeds full grown and that can be helpful in deciding if they are right for you and your kids.

Safe trip home! Bet your family can't wait to get you back. Matter of fact I'm sure of it.

We have barred rock, black copper Marans, and Americaunas - and all of them are kid friendly. Probably the barred rock are the most tolerant with the Marans a close second. Here's a pic with our 2-year old GD - they always let her pick them up (on the off-chance she might have a handful of BOSS, I'm sure!):

DSC_0790.jpg

Both our GK's think our chickens are the most wonderful thing and the first thing they do when they get here is run and get their chicken shoes! What an incredible experience for them - your kids are just gonna love your chickens!

(PS - does someone know how I can make future images smaller - using photobucket...)
fl.gif

Last edited:
If your only reason for getting a rooster is to scare small predators then don't bother getting one. Roosters can be jerky to both hens and humans, it takes a few tries to find the right rooster for you and can be a headache/danger if he's not a good roo. Roosters are alarm bells watching over the flock, act as warning system and first line so hens can get to safety. Any real predator will kill the rooster as he's attempting to fend off the intruder, hopefully saving the hens in process. The dominant hen takes over the rooster role of warning system and any LF hen can protect itself almost as well as a rooster can.

As for breeds there are many docile friendly ones so it comes down to your color preference and how many eggs you want. Don't be fooled when folks say Brahma or Jersey Giants are great layers, dependable layers and through winter but personally I don't consider 3-4 eggs a week great laying. Easter Eggers lay well and have the colored eggs but tend to stop laying come winter months. If you get a rooster and think you may hatch later I'd stay away from the sex links; great layers but are mutts and the one time sexable at hatch. Our family is partial to the Plymouth Rock personality and I enjoy it's egg laying ability. Another good breed for personality and laying is Australorp. Buff Orps I hear are good layers but I presently have some Blue Orps and am unhappy how long it's taking them to start laying...going on 9 months. Just sad.

So if your set on a Rooster your best bet may be to choose a breed, possibly hatch the eggs yourself. Start with a straight run, choose the best rooster for you and eat or give away the others. This is a good place to search for local swaps this spring too, get a fancier breed chicks from a local breeder. Well, that's my two cents and no matter the breed they make great pets with hours of entertainment watching them do chicken things. Have fun.

My DH and I are both retired AF, I'm a Vet of the 1st Gulf war and our oldest son is AF . He spends a lot of time up Country. Thank you and yours for your Service.

What ever breeds you choose, we like a mix of egg colors. So neat for the kids. I love my JG's but the roos are very big and as was said earlier they can see kiddos who run/move too fast as a threat. I'd choose something smaller, Maybe even a Cochin bantam, what ever you get try a couple and handle them as much as possible from the start. Like turn them on their back and hold them like a baby, kids too. That way you will see who is going to be the best fit. Extras can be rehomed or sent to freezer camp as you wish.
Good luck and
STAY SAFE!

Back
Top Bottom