My family drives me nuts....UGH

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Teresaann24, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    So here is the story I grew up all my life with my cousins here in KY some of my family when young moved to indiana and I had alot of cousins up there that I really don't know.

About 10 years ago some of them moved down here and we became close to them. Hung out alot and had parties and stayed at each others house. Well after a few years some of my cousins raised here in Ky and the cousins from Indiana got into it and it came to blows. However I did take sides with my cousins who I grew up with here in KY but for good reason they were in the right. Anyways we didn't have anything to do with the cousins that moved down here from Indiana these past years I have become civil with the cousins from indiana but my cousins from KY still do not like them and blame them for alot of bad things.

So If they see me leave comments on their pics or wall they get mad at me for talking to them. I don't hang out with them or go to their house or them come to mine its just being civil and comments.

I don't feel like I am doing wrong to them they say I am Kissing their butts. It makes me mad and I told them it did I said if I wanted to be civil with them I will.

My cousins from indiana said to one of my uncles they guessed if you didn't grow up down here we wouldn't take up for you. Which is not the truth it was just they were in the wrong.

Anyone deal with this kinda thing what should I do? I swear they drive me insane.

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Ugh. I have some relatives still in Malaysia who are like that too. But I just avoid them [​IMG]

3. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    They'll get over it.

No one can tell you who to associate with. Unless it is, say, a concern that you may be offering someone an opportunity to take advantage of you or them that has done so in the past, then they have no justification to be upset with you for it. Which, of course, it doesen't sound like at all. In fact it sounds like your KY cousins are being rather immature to assume they can order your associations for you. But they'll grow out of it. Just be firm and help them understand they are not showing themselves in a mature light, in a loving way... and eventually, if they're smart enough, they'll come to see your side when they grow up a bit.

4. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    I went through that with my MIL. She has a niece whom she doesn't like. Not for anything the niece said or did to her, but for something the niece got mad at my SIL for.
    My SIL passed on some information(gossip) she wasn't supposed to and the niece called her out on it.
    My MIL was angry that I was still friends with her on FB and that she occasionally commented on my pictures or posts.
    She messaged me on facebook(she's passive-aggressive and didn't want to call) and told me to delete this person for her sake because seeing her name made her angry.

I thought about it for a day and this is the message I sent back:
    "I'm sorry to upset you, but I feel like this is not my fight. I'm not going to unfriend someone because someone else is mad at them. She has commented on something I said maybe 3 times this year. I don't want to make you mad at me, and I don't want you to think I don't respect you. I just can't do it. I'm sorry."

She wrote back and apologized about it.

Sometimes, you need to stand up and say "Enough!" I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm not going to participate in it!

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    The thing is they keep bringing up my aunt who has passed...Knowing this is a touchy subject for my cousins in KY. That is why it is hard for me too. They blame each other for her death its a long long sad story I don;t want to get into but I just wanna scream at all of them. Plus them using my FB wall to post their comments back and forth to each other is also making me very mad half my friends are parents of kids my kids go to school with and its just not showing me nor my family in a good light.

6. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    Block them...If they keep it up, you can either block them without telling them, or block them and tell them why. There's not much else you can do.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Tell them ALL to stop the bickering on YOUR wall... or you'll delete the whole lot of them.
    And no... you dont have to choose sides... they are ALL your family. Period.
    I have one set of cousins that i'm close with...and another set that i think are nasty/gossip monger snobs.... i am still civil to the gossip mongers though, because they are my family.
    One time the gossip mongers started in on me(behind my back)..long story,, had to put my meme in a nursing home..we just couldnt care for her ourselves anymore(we had taken care of her for years and years by ourselves, with NO help..), she wasnt safe at home/ fall risk, too many medical problems to stay at home safely,..etc...
    They had to gall to run their mouths about it...and they NEVER came to visit her... or even called her..ever, for years.
    I called them up and nipped them in the bud right quick, and i was pretty nasty about it too,.... they've shut their mouths ever since.
    Sometimes you just have to draw the line... or they'll keep pushing you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by