My family has chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by willdebenham, Oct 22, 2013.

1. willdebenham

willdebenham New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    I was just wondering if there was a way to get my chickens to like me more.

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! If you handle them when they are chicks for like 15 min. a day thats good but if they are full grown just handle them a lot more and stuff :~D

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! With older chicks just spending lots of time hanging out them and bringing out treats / food as a routine will help. Keep doing it and you'll probably find many of them will become as tame. Feeding them healthy treats and things they like will help, they won't come up to you right away but if they start to associate you with food they will certainly get friendlier. Most birds, including chickens, don't really like to be petted the occasional one does or at least doesn't mind it. They will usually get used to being picked up, especially if you do it at night, once they get more used to you and most will climb on you if you are sitting on the grass with them feeding them, some will fly or jump on you for food. Here is a thread with a good post on taming older birds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/813326/how-to-socialize-tame-a-timid-hen

5. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

gently handle each of them a few times a day. try to attract them to you, instead of catching them. always come bearing treats, even if it is just a pinch of scratch, but don't overdo it. do not get too far from the flock while your are handling a particular bird.

6. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG] Food is the way to a chickens heart.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I see you have silkies. There are several silkie threads on BYC, my favorite is just called "Silkie thread." You may want to subscribe to one of them to learn more about the breed etc.

I think chicks you hatched yourself tend to be less timid because they have had people around them from day one, instead of a broody. Still silkies love to eat mealworms make a great treat but, you don't want to overdo any treat because they will cut back on the feed that is formulated for them. Just like kids eating candy instead of dinner.

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by