My family nearly caused another loss

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JupiterFarmer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. JupiterFarmer

JupiterFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Palm Beach County
    Urgh. My family angers me so with how irresponsible they are when left with the animals. I already lost a pullet that I had come to care for as my own child because of the dogs not being trained. Came home to find her completely gutted after classes.

They got rid of the biggest one but kept the puppy with intentions to get a bunch of chicks. I warned them to train that puppy strictly or to forget about having them both.

They didn't train her and she pulled out a chick out of the brooder because my lazy mother stick the pup in the garage so she doesn't have to deal with smelling poop or pee in the house even though the dog was suppose to be an indoor dog. The chicks wing has the newly grown in feathers ripped out and it is soaked with spit.

I don't understand why they brought the dog if they weren't going to try to train it at all or be packleaders... Or even worse bring in chicks for a tax break

I hope this chick makes it but my mother didn't treat it at all so two hours post its wounds are getting cleaned and ointment put on

I hope it makes it this week old lil guy is the friendliest of the bunch

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    how do you get a tax break by having chicks??

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. JupiterFarmer

Feb 14, 2009
    Palm Beach County
    We get to call ourselves a farm, I don't quite know the details but that was mother's reason

4. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Quote:I was wondering the same thing... [​IMG]

edited because I posted before reading all the posts..And my question was answered in a different post.. If this makes any sence..

I think here you cant be classified as a farm unless you are in agricultural zoning.. And you have to sell some thing you produced from your farm..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
  5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I feel your frustration! Looks like you'll have to be the "caregiver". Can you block off the brooder somehow or put it up high so the dog can't reach them. I hope the little guy makes it. Oh, and welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I don't know about the "tax break" part. That is easier said than done. Just having chicks won't get you a break.

As for the puppy, if it poops and pees in the house, then whoever is in charge is not making enough of an attempt to potty train it. People that don't have the time or patience to train a dog shouldn't have one. I would rehome the dog to somebody that cares more about it. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh because the owner is your mom. Unfortunately, the dog will end up running amok, killing things, getting hit by a car or shot. It is every chicken owner's nighmare to live near somebody that doesn't understand the responsibility of dog ownership.

7. JupiterFarmer

Feb 14, 2009
    Palm Beach County
    Quote:I've been saying the same thing because the dog was sick and we took it to the doctor to get medicine. Only she didn't continue to get dewormed and her uti got way worse because no one gave the medicine right and I had finals coming up so I wasn't on them for the medicine.

So you're not being harsh its a they need to wake up to facts

Hopefully after having me threaten the dog and attempting to send it to the pound, they'll get the idea and give the pup a home that would be much better for it through one of the friends

A

8. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    know how you feel somewhat at least hang in there it'll get bad before it gets worse and then eveything will be ok good luck.

9. JupiterFarmer

Feb 14, 2009
    Palm Beach County
    Quote:Not really because nothing good enough to fully protect them would allowed to be there because my mother parks her car there and both doors need to be able to open [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by