My fault, I think.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Father Chicken, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Father Chicken

Father Chicken New Egg

Aug 28, 2015
    My hen has stopped laying. I have caused much commotion due to adding on to the pen, and due to catching stray chickens. It has been a while now since all of that, and still no eggs from my faithful producer.
    I have a big egg box, a separate place to sleep, food all the time, and water all the time. I'm in south Ga where we have had a cold spell and then heat again in the 80s this week, yet still no eggs.
    Why?
    Please help.
    Total hens now ... 10 bantams total. 3 mothers and 7 others that haven't laid anything yet.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Most bantam breeds are more for 'pretty' than for egg production. Frequently they lay a clutch, brood, raise the chicks and do it again. The commotion may have impacted her production, but I am more inclined to think that the shortening day length is the causative factor.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    xs 2. Also is there any chance of molting? I know a lot of us have been going through that as well right now. Some of mine you can barely tell while others are pretty sad looking.

I've got a couple Black Jap banties. Didn't realize that they were a broody breed. (I got some mixed eggs to hatch and the girl had added in a couple banty eggs for fun.) They are adorable and fairly good natured, but unless I was going for plain "pets" I would not get anymore. Eggs are to small and they want to brood all the time...lol I will say, the one I let brood is an excellent momma though! I was lucky in the fact that both eggs she gave me hatched, due to the fatal gene that pures carry.

4. Father Chicken

Father Chicken New Egg

Aug 28, 2015
    My first layer went broody before the new pen was built. My second layer molted a month ago and has her pretty look again. All other hens have not laid anything. Other friends including my father in laws Rhode Island reds and buff orpingtons are still producing fine.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Do they use lights in the coops? Some breeds are more apt to lay during "winter" months than others and if I am not mistaken RIRs are one of those higher egg production birds. You might want to look up the expected egg production for the breeds, you might find that banties are on the lower end of that scale.

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yep agree with above. My bantams are the least reliable layers in my flock have been known to go a month or two without eggs in autumn/winter.

1 person likes this.
  7. Father Chicken

Father Chicken New Egg

Aug 28, 2015
    I just want some eggs without changing my entire flock. I pitched getting 10 Auricanas to my wife and she turned it down because these chickens were free.

8. Father Chicken

Father Chicken New Egg

Aug 28, 2015
    No lights in coop by the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by