My fav chicken can't walk due to dog atack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by minfun990, Feb 5, 2015.

1. minfun990

minfun990 New Egg

Dec 8, 2014
    At the moment I don't seem to see my chickens much.i came home one day to see Shirly a tiny bantam (about 6-10 years old) siting on the ground with here wing splayed out.at first I think something's wrong with her wing but I soon notice she can't walk with one of her feet.i was then told my popa had caught her and put her back in the coop,and what with all the dogs around(at least 7) and farm dogs no less,there are other subjects but least likely.I pve seperate do her from the others and got her in a rabbit pen im trying to give her the best food and making it available for her along with water.but I don't know what to do next,I don't want her to get lonly or bored but she's at the bottum of the pecking order and she would get picked on any ideas?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG] It's good that u separated her. Poor old girl. If her feet or legs are hurt make sure there is something soft in her pen to sit on like an old folded bath towel. If you could post pics of her injuries, we could do more to help. You can put a mirror in the pen so she can see herself and feel like she is with another bird. Try to spend some time with her while we try to help you figure out what is wrong. If you see anything weird or worse, post right away ok. [​IMG]

3. I don't know, I also had a crippled chicken once. She was just a baby, and she was injured badly by a groundhog. We had to kill her. I certainly hope you can handle your chicken though without having to kill the poor thing, we had nothing to do about it :(

4. minfun990

minfun990 New Egg

Dec 8, 2014
    Good news she can walk better...
    Still sits most the time,and uses wing though
    How do I put up a pic of her
    She laid an egg that's a good sign right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by