My fav. hen has overeaten, & it is stuck in her crop. please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ravenwind_75, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ravenwind_75

ravenwind_75 New Egg

Sep 11, 2010
    I have a silkie hen who is a hog when it comes to food. I keep her on laying mash, however she flew into the pen with some of my ducks, and has eaten alot of whole corn, her crop is tight, and full. She is acting listless, and weak. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I thought about taking an eyedropper and squirting a little cooking oil down her throat to maybe lubricate it, but I don't want to harm her further.

2. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Your instinct is correct get an eye dropper and gently give her veg oil with the eye dropper in to her mouth. Then gently massage the crop. Do this every 3/4 hours - after a few days you should see her improve. You need to keep doing it though and gently massage don;t rub hard.

That is all I can suggest at the moment. Keep giving her fluids. - Hope all goes well we had a hen with this too. You can get antibiotics for sour crop fro the vet but that is expensive so hope this works for you. It did for our hen!

Oesdog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by