My favorite and first hen, Sadie died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marialane, Aug 9, 2011.

1. marialane

marialane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    I found Sadie yesterday morning. She was apparently waiting for me at the run door:( I'm so sad! I'm new at raising chickens so I am doubting myself as to what killed her. She was limping, favoring her right foot. I did examine her left foot and did not see anything that would say Bumblefoot, but, again, I am a novice. I soaked it, she rested for two days and then she appeared fine, free ranging with the flock. When I found her yesterday, she was laying on the coop floor, one leg extended forward, and the other one leg extended back. I read that with Mareks' disease that there is a neural form and that paralysis is one of the symptoms. My question is: When a chicken dies, is that the position that they are found in? Thanks for your input!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Wow marialane, sorry for your loss! [​IMG] Wish I had some advice on what you asked but I don't - someone on here will, though. Best of luck and hang in there!

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

so sorry for your loss, I'm glad you gave her such a good life:cd

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Sorry for your loss. I have no idea about what position chickens would be found in dead though. Most of my "casualties" are lost to predators. Sending my best wishes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by