My favorite chick is suddenly ill...head hanging, please help...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clarmayfarm, Jun 25, 2010.

1. clarmayfarm

clarmayfarm Songster

Jan 5, 2010
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Hi,

I have a sweet Ameraucana pullet that is about 13 weeks old, and she is suddenly weak tonight, head hanging, seems to have little muscle tone. When I move around her, she will pick up her head and look normal for a few seconds, and then slowly go back to head down. She is eating, however.

She is in a spacious, although warm, chicken house with 20 other chickens. No one has been sick, and all are allowed to free range around the farm yard ( about 3 acres) during the day and eat grass, bugs, etc. They have shade trees and plenty of water. It has been very hot this week, temps up to 98 degrees, although today was about 90.

It is a possibility that she ate some cow feed (wet brewers grains - consisting of pressed wheat and hops) - but I do not think it would have hurt her, as no one else is sick.

any ideas? I hope it is not Marek's, although I cannot say for certain she was vaccinated as I purchased her at a farm store.

thanks for any help...

Beth

[​IMG]

2. clarmayfarm

clarmayfarm Songster

Jan 5, 2010
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    One more question...could botulism be a cause if she did eat fermented feed?

I have heard of flushing...how well does this work?

please reply if you have any ideas...I love this gal.

Beth

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by