my favorite chicken died today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fratmor, Jun 7, 2011.

1. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    My EE that was 10 months old ,just died this afternoon.I don't know why but it did. She looked fine this morning I went out this afternoon to buy them food .I'm unloading the car and my husband told me he found her dead under the coop.she looked perfectly fine but dead:hit:hit:hit Anyone have any clue why this could happen.my other chickens look fine.But I will be keeping a close eye on them

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Sometimes you never know for sure...sorry for your loss.

3. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    so sorry for your loss. It is not unusual to just find one gone for no apparent reason. It just doesn't make it any easier to deal with....

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    [​IMG] I am so sorry.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Lost my pretty little EE hen last spring - just found her laying there dead in her dust bathing area - had seen her up and about not 2 hours earlier. Many lose chickens to unknown internal issues - often the heart. I am sorry about your little girl [​IMG]

6. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm sorry....
    Did you notice if her comb color had changed...she may have had a heart attack - it's an awful thing. Lost a much loved joyful sweet hen - Annie - before her second birthday to this. She was only hours (not days) late in laying an egg (so not registering as an emergency yet) - I think it may have been too large and caused the heart attack when she tried to pass it, which she never did [​IMG]
    JJ

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm sorry. It happened to my Zippy too. Don't know why..

9. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    I almost want to open her up. But Ive never done that before its been a few hours already that she is gone and its hot out will she be real smelly and make me get sick if I do open her up.
    she was my only green egg layer I was so proud of her.Of all my chickens I can't believe it had to be her.I wouldn't feel as bad if she was a brown or white egg layer. but my only EE.

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    .I wouldn't feel as bad if she was a brown or white egg layer. but my only EE.

I feel bad for any hen that feels bad enough to die, regardless of egg color. They love life so much, and to lose it way too young is so sad...... [​IMG]
    So sorry about your hen.
    JJ​

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by