My favorite chicken disappeared.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Maxamus, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Maxamus

Maxamus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2014
    I don't know what to do. My sweet Mable dissapered today, which I found out when I went to lock the girls in. My and my mother walked the land but it was dark out and we couldn't see.We ran into a skunk and had to run and end the serch. The chickens free range but always come back at night and I don't know what to do. Any chance she's still with us?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    There's always a chance she is still with (you).. I have had chickens go MIA and return after one day away. One was due to escaping like 7734 ( read that upside down) from a predator raccoon . She hid all the next day. I don't know where, possibly neighboring yards, and returned the second day evening. I also had one disappear for 2 weeks and returned. Still an unsolved mystery and she was called Phantom. She lived for 8 more years after.
    As to surprising skunks.......... I am sure skunk was just as afraid of you if not more than you of skunk.. I doubt the skunk is the culprit in the disappearance. Your chicken may be up in a tree or in between some shrubs or bushes.. In the morning she may come out..
    WISHING YOU BEST.. [​IMG]

Keep us updated what you find out tomorrow.

3. critterkeeper25

critterkeeper25 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am hoping for the best for you and your chickens. We had the same thing happen to us over Columbus Day weekend. They still haven't returned. I came home one afternoon last week to see a fox killing another of our hens in our front yard. So I am assuming that the same fox also got our other 2 hens.

I hope the same isn't true for you. I wish I was wrong about our two missing hens, and that in a day or two they will still come home. We miss them terribly.

4. Maxamus

Oct 16, 2014
    Day 2 and no sign of Mable, O searched everywhere but not so much as a feather. In starting to lose hope

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow she will show up (for a little while) if she is sitting on a clutch of hidden eggs. Can she be incubating a family of chicks? The skunk scares me because skunks are the major threat to brooding hens and their eggs.

6. Mary in Nevada

Mary in Nevada New Egg

Oct 26, 2015
    Pahrump, Nevada
    Same thing happened to me. Young hen started hiding her eggs, then disappeared. She came back every day or two for a few minutes then was gone again. Last Monday she showed up with four babies. Turns out she was nesting under the house so she was pretty safe but I still worried about her. Good luck.

7. Maxamus

Oct 16, 2014
    Male returned out of the woods this morning! So happy! Should I lock up up in the tractor with the other chickens so she doesn't run off again.

1 person likes this.
  8. Maxamus

Oct 16, 2014
    Update:Mable has dissapered once again!What do I do???

9. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    NEXT TIME SHE COMES BACK, SPY HER OUT TO SEE WHERE SHE IS GOING. She most likely is going to a hidden nest in the woods. You can just keep looking for her until you spot her. She is not far away, but in a well hidden spot. Kind of takes some Sherlock Holmes skills at this stage.

10. Alex1010

Alex1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Did she seem broody?? When she came back?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by