My favorite chicken has a puffy face!!

gardenerds

Chirping
Apr 16, 2020
Weston, CT
61677499718__A1C5CF5D-CFD6-4CC9-8DB5-6981A7EA3102.jpeg
IMG_9777.jpg

The first picture is from today and the second (outside) is from yesterday. I have her separated from the flock since yesterday, she's in the downstairs bathroom with towels on the floor, food and water. I have washed her face with soap and water and used anti-biotic ointment. She's still eating and drinking. What else can I do?

I should also mention that I am washing my hand voraciously and making sure I don't have the other chickens things come in contact with her's. Even clothing.

Could she have been pecked or stung near her eye? Look for a peck mark or sting mark. Have you noticed any sneezing, congestion, nasal drainage, or rattly breathing that might be symptoms of a respiratory disease?

You could try a small dose of Benadryl one time to see if tit helps the swelling go down. If you have 25 mg tablets try to give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet orally.

Ok, found out that chicken do not have the physical ability to process antihistamines. Luckily she didn't really eat any. Took her to the vet today, not an eye injury, but also it was not conclusive whether it was contagious or not. I've got two kinds of eye drops, one of which is an antibiotic. Wish Bobby luck!

Back
Top Bottom