My favorite chicken's lower beak has become over grown! PICS!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by safarichick101, Dec 27, 2009.

1. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    You can trim it if you need to. Can you show us a picture so we can see if it's trimable?

3. safarichick101

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    hold on.

4. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    If she can still eat, i really wouldn't worry about it.
    The beak is the most senstivei thing in a chickens body, and a lot of the time when factory hen's beaks are cut, they die of pain, or usually spend the rest of their day's in pain. So i wouldn't say trimming was a good idea. As long as she can eat, there is no problem. Ofcourse if she starts to become unable to eat, you must take action. Just have the ability on hand.

On the other hand, i think it looks rather cute x

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Quote:I'm not so sure about that. My first two original hens were debeaked when I first got them as started pullets. (I wasn't aware of that at the time) And they were always fine with their birdy duties. They preened and ate and drank and didn't act like they were in any pain at all. I'm sure it was painful at the time of debeaking. (Believe me, I'm no fan of having that done to a bird!) I've had them 3 years now and they never acted like they were in pain. Certainly they have disadvantages.....but they are not in constant pain. They would not have survived 3 years in constant pain...........I think I would have noticed.......

6. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I have trimmed beaks without problems- not debeaking, just trimming. I then use a nail file to make it look 'pretty'. Watch for the quick and keep clotting powder handy.

7. safarichick101

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    I tried using a nail file and someone suggested that I get a flock block. :S

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by