1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Favorite Died...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Omeletta, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    My favorite chicken died this morning....I opened the coop and reached in to pet her. She was just lying on the floor of the coop. We had struggled with impacted crop, but that cleared a few days ago. Is it possible she had an infection from the impacted crop (she was impacted for over 2 weeks) ? Hind sight is always 20/20, and now I would have gotten a general antibiotic for her. Would I have needed a vet visit, or is there something at our local farm supply store that would have helped? I'm going to get some, to keep on hand, just in case another one of my babies decides to cause me grief... [​IMG]

here's a pic of my sweet, goofy girl! Who's gonna greet me, now? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone got a silkie for sale in Alberta? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry about the big pics, stupid photobucket wouldn't let me edit for size...

Tanya

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Sooo sorry about your baby! :aww

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

4. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    aww im soo sorry about your little girl, she is so pretty. How do you know or can tell when they have an impacted crop?

5. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] Sooo Soorryy about your girl

6. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Sorry to hear about your sweetie.[​IMG]

7. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks, everyone. This must be one of the only places on earth to get sympathy for a chicken, besides my husband's arms...you guys are great. I keep wondering around saying, "Stupid chicken..." then 1 of my 4 very compassionate daughters gives me a squeeze.

Stupid chicken.... [​IMG]

Tanya

8. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Why is it always our favorites that we lose? Sorry for your loss. Spend some time with the other birds and you will all feel a little better.

9. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

10. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    So sorry about your girl!!! I can get you a little silkie girl this weekend probably but shipping would be very expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by