My favorite girl is acting sick - :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sham30, Oct 8, 2011.

1. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    I have been trying to help my 2 1/2 year old hen who has been acting tired and weak - she is eating and drinking but feels so thin. I wormed her with Valbazen and have been giving her yogurt and bits of tuna and some other things she likes. Any idea on what might be up? She is my best girl and I hate to loose her - [​IMG] The barn would not be the same with out her.

2. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have you checked her for mites or lice? They can go down hill really quick if they are infested. DE does NOT kill mites or lice. I have saved a bag or Ortho-Sevin Garden Dust for this very thing. The feed store ought to have a commercial mite/lice killer.

If it isn't mites or lice, can you tell if she is getting her share of the feed? Is anybody crowding her out? Does she have access to grit -- I am assuming she does as you mentioned that she's in a barnyard...

To put weight on her quickly pull her aside and give her a bowl of feed with bacon in it.

I hope she perks up soon.

Jenny

3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:i know how you feel i have asick little hen rosey. she tried to lay her first egg and instead of it coming out the shoot like it was supposed to it came out under it. who know how. but anyway it was hanging on her bottom still inside her skin. i had to take her to the vet and have it cut out last week 2 times. she also prolapsed to. she is my favorite. she jumps up in my lap and put her head on my shoulder. she is so sweet. the vet was even amazed at how she was. i am trying everything i can to help her. she is better as far as i can tell. shwwwww been a long week though. so i know how you feel and i hope she gets better. i am new to the chicken thing so i really cant offer any advice but i can sympathize with you [​IMG]

4. sham30

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:I plan to dust her with Sevin today - I have not seen any signs of mites but thats not to say they are not there - She is out by herself right now as she was having a hard time coming in and out of the coop [​IMG] She has decided she like hopping onto the barn cats perch and eating there wet food [​IMG] Wish I had my camera the other day as she was up there with the two cats and they did not seem to mind sharing!! I may take her to the vet next week as she has me stumped [​IMG]

5. sham30

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    the3ofus+oursixchicks :

Quote:i know how you feel i have asick little hen rosey. she tried to lay her first egg and instead of it coming out the shoot like it was supposed to it came out under it. who know how. but anyway it was hanging on her bottom still inside her skin. i had to take her to the vet and have it cut out last week 2 times. she also prolapsed to. she is my favorite. she jumps up in my lap and put her head on my shoulder. she is so sweet. the vet was even amazed at how she was. i am trying everything i can to help her. she is better as far as i can tell. shwwwww been a long week though. so i know how you feel and i hope she gets better. i am new to the chicken thing so i really cant offer any advice but i can sympathize with you [​IMG]

That stinks, I would freak if that happened! I hope she begins to heal - I know how you feel, this hen and my youngest daughter have been best buds, she would sit on her lap and sleep - I gotta make her well!​

6. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama

That stinks, I would freak if that happened! I hope she begins to heal - I know how you feel, this hen and my youngest daughter have been best buds, she would sit on her lap and sleep - I gotta make her well!

i hope it all works out for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by