1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Favorite Hen is Gone!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChipTheChicken, Apr 12, 2016.

1. ChipTheChicken

ChipTheChicken New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    I have 12 chickens, one of which has gone missing. Every night, I usually close to chickens up... However, I forgot to last night. This morning when I went to go feed and water my little cuties, one was missing. There are feathers right outside the coop, but not blood. Could something have taken it? (We have a fenced in area that leads into the coop. The actual coop doors are ALWAYS closed. I usually close up the door from the fenced in side every night.) I can't keep my mind off of the subject, I feel very guilty.

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

1 person likes this.
  3. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Aw, sorry... yes, we all forget things; if it's any consolation at all ,I know you'll never forget that again. And it seems to be Murphy's Law as it apples to chickens- the predators never take the mean one, or the one who never lays, but always your favorite/best layer[​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I know it doesn’t help, but try to not beat yourself up too much about it. Almost all of us have done something similar or soon will. A lot of times there are no consequences but occasionally there are. I’m sorry you were unlucky but yes, it’s pretty certain something got the chicken.

I don’t know where you are located or how big that chicken was, but there are many critters that could do something like that. If the top of that fenced in area is open any flying or climbing predator could have done it. Many babies are being born to predators here right now so even critters that normally eat on the spot may have taken it back home.

I had an owl enter the coop and take out a chicken once when I was late locking them up, though it left the body in the run. It may have been too big for the owl to carry it off. What you describe sounds like it could have been a bobcat or fox (yes foxes can climb) but I just don’t know what it was. It could easily be something else.

5. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    I had a raccoon do this once. Then I poisoned him with rat poison and sardines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by