1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My favorite hen is pecking me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jessbrooks2013, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jessbrooks2013

jessbrooks2013 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    It freaking hurts. I loved this hen, at least I hope she's a hen. I'm new to the chicken world with my 3 hens. They are about 5 months old, with no eggs yet but soon.
    My R. Island Red has always been the least afraid of people and therefore the most handled and well-liked. But as of 2 weeks ago she has begun to peck at me, leaving marks. I won't go in there yard now without foot protection. I've pushed her back, swatted her when she's pecked at me and generally firmly told her to cut it out. She will still fly up to my lap and doesn't mind being petted, but continues to peck me, stand in my way and chase me. In addition, she has gotten louder than the other chickens doing a "Waa, Waa, Waa!" noise.
    Any advice?

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

would rubbing your hands (i am assuming that's the most pecked area??) with bitter apple spray work to make "people taste bad"?? Works with my cockatiel and four legged kids too.

3. backyardgirls

backyardgirls Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    Bakersfield, CA
    The same thing happened last year with my RIR hen. A few weeks before she started to lay, she became more agressive. She would follow behind me as I walked and peck at my ankles.
    When she started to lay eggs she became the same sweet heart she was before. I think it's hormonal. [​IMG]

4. jessbrooks2013

Aug 21, 2008
    so you don't think she is a he?

5. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I've got 30+ RIR girls and they like to pick at me, my toes, my freckles, a mosquito bite, my wedding ring, basically anything that catches their eye as standing out from the background. Mine are 20 weeks old and just starting to produce eggs and I haven't noticed a change in anyone's behavior. I think it's instinct to "sample" anything that catches their eye. At least I hope their not doing it because they're being mean! I haven't taken iit that way at least [​IMG]

6. jessbrooks2013

Aug 21, 2008
    This is a mean behavior, not a sampling one. I know they like to see if they can eat about anything but not in a way that leaves marks.

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe she is going broody, and thinks you are too close to her nest? She may have created a nest where you don't realize it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by