My favorite hen is sick. Please help

Quarterhorses1

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 18, 2022
I was doing evening chores last night when I realized that my hen windy wasn’t coming to the coop, but standing farther up the yard with her wings dropped. Upon further investigation I found that her belly is a bit swollen, not much, and her crop is squishy and liquid filled. She drank but won’t eat. Her poop is mostly yellow with brown mixed in.
She’s had blackheads disease before, could this be blackheads again ?? What do I do ??

Chickens usually don’t suffer from blackhead disease which normally affects turkeys, although I think it is possible. How did you treat that? Was she wormed a couple of times, and with what? Yellow urates in the droppings can be a sign of ascites and liver disease. That may accompany a reproductive infection, fatty liver disease, cancer, or heart failure. Ascites may cause a fluid filled belly. Poop pictures are helpful. Does she lay eggs anymore? I would try offering her wet chicken feed and some scrambled egg bits, but water as well.

Chickens usually don’t suffer from blackhead disease which normally affects turkeys, although I think it is possible. How did you treat that? Was she wormed a couple of times, and with what? Yellow urates in the droppings can be a sign of ascites and liver disease. That may accompany a reproductive infection, fatty liver disease, cancer, or heart failure. Ascites may cause a fluid filled belly. Poop pictures are helpful. Does she lay eggs anymore? I would try offering her wet chicken feed and some scrambled egg bits, but water as well.
I gave ivermectin to all hens, and cayenne pepper. There has been no issues since. I actually have another with a fluid filled belly. I didn’t smell her mouth she does still lay eggs, she’s a 2 year old ISA brown. I offered egg and she didn’t eat if

Back
Top Bottom