my favorite hen seems to have scratched her eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OrpingtonManor, Jul 19, 2010.

1. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Tatertot, my favorite BO and my 12 week old Ameraucanas got caught up in the deer netting I had around a plant. They were a little upset because they are still getting used to each other. As soon as I untangled them, Tatertot immediately went to the chicken tractor, and sat with her eye closed. Her eye wasn't swollen, but had a little scratch on the lid. I'm guessing she also got a scratch to her cornea. She could still eat and drink, but seemed really bothered by it. At one point, she just sat down and turned her head around and tucked her head under her wing. I've never seen her do that. (Parakeets, yes, chickens, no.)

I don't have a vehicle right now, so I took some neosporin and put it on her eyelid. I couldn't get her to open her eye for me, although she had opened it a few times as she walked around after scratching it.

She put herself to bed in the coop early, but didn't seem to be resting.

Is the neosporin a good temporary remedy until I can get to the feed store for something chicken-specific?

2. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

While I have not personally used it, I have seen it used on chickens with swollen eyes in one of my books. I think there was also a thread on here somewhere about it... I'll see if I can find it for you.

Ahh, yes, here is it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3054

Hope this helps! I think it would be a good idea until you can get to a feed store or other store to get the terramycin as some have recommended.

Good luck & let us know how your girl is doing.

3. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    always a good reminder as to why we should keep certain first aid supplies on hand. I'm not very good at following this suggestion. [​IMG]

A friend is giving me a ride to pick up two pullets today, so I'll see if we can stop at the feed store on the way and get some of that Terramycin ointment for eyes.

I haven't gone out to check on the birds yet this morning. It's just starting to get light. I'll update once I see her. I'm guessing it will have gotten a bit swollen since yesterday.

4. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    just got back from the feed store. they said the state of california is not allowing them to release terramycin ophthalmic ointment anymore. has been like that for 7 months or so. why? because vets want to control all of that stuff. bummer, since most of them don't treat chickens. plus, I won't pay $50+ to have a vet tell me to put ointment in the chicken's eye when i already know that. [​IMG]

neosporin it is.

plus, she is occasionally opening her eye, especially for treats. she'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by