"My Favorite Pet" youth art contest chicken pet picture best in show

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Wildflower_VA, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

This is not about my chickens, but this seems like the best forum to post this story about chicken pets.

Our electric cooperative holds an annual "My Favorite Pet" youth art contest and the results are published in the monthly magazine called Cooperative Living. I thought it was very interesting that out of all the pets the young artists picked as their subjects and favorite pets, the Best-in-Show went to a girl and her chicken. She is featured on the cover of the magazine holding a barred rock. Of the winners pictures, I counted three of dogs, five of cats, five of horses, one bunny, two of fish, one of a pair of tortoises, one pet bird, and one of a chicken. I thought it was so neat that they picked the chicken pet as best in show!

[​IMG]
    BEST IN SHOW: Margaret Myers of Ruckersville (Fifth Grade)

[​IMG]

Link to winner's pictures: http://co-opliving.com/coopliving/issues/2011/July%202011/cover.htm

http://co-opliving.com/coopliving/issues/2011/July%202011/index.htm

2. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

That's very cool! [​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That is cool! Ruckersville is right up the road from me!

4. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for sharing, Wildflower! Wonderful artwork and great cover photo too. Congratulations Margaret!!

5. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I'm sending this to everyone I know! They don't seem to understand when I say chickens make great pets.
    Perhaps if I show them this!
    HA HA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by