My favorite RIR is a roo, a little bummed.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Our7Wonders, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Our7Wonders

Our7Wonders Out Of The Brooder

My parents had a flock of RIRs when I was a kid. The few roosters that I remember were mean, Mean, MEAN!!

I can remember being chased by them - one in particular would chase me onto the hood of our old station wagon until my mom would come out with a broom and rescue me.

So when I ordered my all pullet order I had hopes of ALL hens. Knowing mistakes can be made I figured theres a good chance I'll get a roo or two (or three) - just as long as it wasn't one of the RIRs.

Well, now Big Red has a bright red comb, newly forming wattles and thicker legs than any of his sisters. I am now the concerned ownder of a 6 week old RIR roo. Figures.
    MyPetChicken.com listed RIRs as a sometimes more aggressive rooster (which didn't surprise me from my past experience.) Does anyone here have a friendly RIR roo? I also rec'd a free EE chick in my McMurray order - pretty sure that one's a rooster too. I'll have 18 birds total when 10 of the Australorps get sent to their permanant home. Can their be two roos with 16 hens? I think I remember hearing somthing like 1 roo for every 10 hens, is that right?

If both roos are friendly and get along ok together than I don't mind keeping them both, but I'm eating whoever might not be so kind.

I did read the thread on here about working with roos and it did give me hope but I'm still a bit concerned.

How about EE roos - what are their dispositions usually like?

TIA,
    Debbi

2. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    My RIR roosters arn't mean at all, if you give yours tuna it'll love you for life lol

3. Our7Wonders

Our7Wonders Out Of The Brooder

Tuna, Really? Great! I'll put it on my shopping list! I'm glad to know yours aren't mean - I only had the one point of reference and crazy mean was an understatement! You've encouraged me!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's true (IME) that RIR hatchery roos tend to be mean. But it's an individual thing; some on here have them as pets.

Yes, one roo to 10 hens is the rule of thumb. I have 3 roos and about 15 hens. The roos are of different ages, and I do plan to give one away, because a friend wants a flock. On the other hand, I am having no problem with them all together at present. It is obvious which is the #1, #2, and #3 roo. The worst they do is chase each other. They are often free range, and usually hang around in 3 groups, one roo to each group.

5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I had a RIR who was a giant! He wasn't mean at all, the meanest rooster I ever had was a little cochin roo! I know it sounds funny, but its true. My aunt still has a scar on her leg where he spurred her. We all put up with him because he was cute, but never turned our backs on him. It is possible to have two roos with 16 hens. It all depends on the size or your pen or if you free range. In my experience if I free range the hens "pick" which roo they want and they break up into seperate flocks for the day. If your girls look like they are being run ragged then I would only keep one roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by