My favorite roo broke his beak - UPDATE HE'S GONE :(

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Crazy4Chicks, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Songster

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I am not having a good time with my quail lately

Last night culled one with a broken back -- now I go to do morning chores and notice my favorite and only A & M roo has blood all over his face and breast area

so I take him to kitchen and give him a bath to clean him up and notice he has managed to break the tip of his top beak off but it is not a straight break and is bleeding alot - the break is close to his nose so I am sure he is getting blood in his nose

he is breathing through his mouth and breathing alittle faster than normal

I have him in a smaller pen that is pretty dark - I am hopeing this will keep him calm so he can rest

I dont want to handle him much because everytime he moves his head his beak bleeds more

I cheacked his ladies and they are fine no blood on them - so I am guessing he got the tip caught in the cage ( there are in a 24x24 wire cage ) he might have gotten it caught somewhere ??

is there anything I can do for him ?

I dont want to lose my very first A & M I ever hatched and my favorite little roo

he has a black heart shaped spot on his head and is so sweet [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. quailbrain

quailbrain Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm so sorry! I wish I had a thought about what to do. Without seeing it I wouldn't have any thoughts. we have a duck outback that onlt has half a top beak and it has done fine plus it's a semi wild mallard duck. If it's not really bad and had any beak or a chance of it healing I'd give it a chance!

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    awh [​IMG] if it was me I'd just supervise him and hope for the best. He may just be very stressed out from the experience of hurting his beak so badly. Hopefully once it heals fro a few days he'll be breathing better. keep us updated! [​IMG]

4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Songster

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    well after letting him rest for a few I went to check on him

he is hanging in there - he is acting pretty weak not wanting to move to much the bleeding has stopped for the most part - his beak was sealed with dried blood so I got him washed up again trying to not remove the clot that is covering the broken part

he is acting like he wants to preen his wet feathers - he is going through the motion but not actually touching his feathers - guess his beak is still really hurting [​IMG]

he will be kept in his little hospital pen for a few days - his ladies look a bit lost without him

I will also make him a mash with the food see if the softer food will be less painful to eat

I will get pics when DH gets home

I will give this guy all the chances in the world to feel better - he is my favorite little roo -- I dont know why but he is -- I have a pen with 4 other bachlor roos so its not like I dont have plenty of roos around but this guy is my only white one I have ever had and he is just a sweet little guy

5. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    In a pinch, a little flour or corn starch will help stop bleeding sooner. You could also keep a product designed for this on hand, which is available at most feed stores (sorry, don't know a brand name.)

Sorry this happened. Seems like it's always the favorite.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  6. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Songster

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I am so upset right now [​IMG]

I just went to check on him and collect eggs from his girls

I found him with his head hung down blood on beak again this time it was covering his nose - the front of him is soaked with blood and water since the break was so close to his nose I think he tried to get something to drink and the water and blood got into his nose/lungs and he choked

I tried to carefully pick him up to take him to the sink and get him cleaned up - he was gasping for air than all of a sudden his little body went stiff and all this water and tons of blood came out of his mouth and my little guy was gone - he passed in my hand [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

he must have got his beak bleeding again and tried to get a drink and ended up by choking on the water and the blood going into his nose

I have collected 6 eggs from his girls ( 3 yesterday 3 today ) what are my chances of hatching another A & M from them ? his girls are jumbo browns ??

I have 4 other roos - 2 browns and 2 really dark browns I guess they are Tibentains (sp) so I know I can still get fertile eggs

but I want my little white roo back -- he would let me hold him and pet him and when I put my hands in the cage he would lay down and wait for me to pick him up [​IMG]

this is so unfair why is it always the favorite ones that get hurt and die [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I'm sorry honey. [​IMG]

8. quail newbie

quail newbie Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. sweet tweets

sweet tweets Chirping

Jul 3, 2009
    So sorry to hear about your dear little roo. That is so sad. Take care!

[​IMG]

10. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Crowing

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: