My favourite he just flew the coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jak2002003, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Can't believe what just happened!

I went to feed my Japanese Bantams and they were acting really strange and skittish. I checked on my broody hen when she screamed and flew out of the nest box.

This panicked the chickens which flew out of the coop! They scattered around the garden hiding. They NEVER have done this before.[​IMG]

Eventually they all re-grouped and I herded them back into the run. Did a head count and there was one missing - my favourite one! She is a grey tail white (the only one I have).[​IMG]

I spotted her in the vacant lot next door. I climbed the wall and walked slowly towards her with the food dish. But she suddenly flew up into the air and away into the woodland at the back of my house over the stream. She is out of sight. No idea where she went. Its been several hours now and still no sign of her coming back. [​IMG]

Since the incident all my roosters are silent (I was hoping she would be drawn back to their crowing).

Do you think there is any chance of her coming back? Do they have a homing instinct? I was temped to go looking for her, but I thought it just might frighten her further away.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Was there any critters in or near the coop? Shes probably safe up in a tree for the night and will come back to the flock in the morning. [​IMG]

3. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I think I figured out why they were acting frightened. I usually wear shorts when I go to feed them, but today I had jeans. I think they got spooked by my jeans!

Still no sign of her. I might go and take a look in the woodland. If I just saw that she was still in the area it wound put my mind at rest and I would leave her to make her own way home. Just hoping she has not flew too far away.

4. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Phew she came back! [​IMG]

After several hours with no sign of her. I searched the small wood, and no sing. I was in house when I heard my hens making a noise. Went our to see and she was across the stream, trying to work out a way back!

Eventually she flew over, but she would not fly back over my wall into the garden. I used one of my very tame hens as a decoy and managed to trap the escapee under a basket! [​IMG]

So glad she came back. Tomorrow all my chickens are in for a wing clipping session!

I can not let it happen again, as I found remains of dead pigeons and doves in the woodland, so there must be some predator in there![​IMG]

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Glad she came back [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by