1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My feathered dream is now a reality

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by WWolf, Jan 16, 2009.

1. WWolf

WWolf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    San Diego
    I have been watching and reading here getting all sorts good ideas and plans for a couple of years now. My dream of actually having a small flock of my own is very soon going to be a reality.I ordering 25 Ancona chicks for March from McMurray next week. I started the run- coup and some of the garden yesterday. The part I live in (My Coup) was the big project and is nearly finished and quite comfortable. I just went throught the predator section I think I am going to use a lot of extra thought and ideas found here before hand. It looks like that is to be my biggest battle We have a very large mountain lion roaming around and quite a few coyotes. My kitty has been real busy with mice. Thanks to all for the good ideas and keeping my "wildlife"dream alive ! I hope to post pics as things progress. Wolf

2. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Congrats on finally getting chickens! March will be here before you know it and you will be falling in love with your new fuzzybutts [​IMG]

I have never had any Anconas, but they look and seem very similar to my Exchequer Leghorn.

Can't wait to see pics of your coop and chickens as they grow [​IMG]

3. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC. I lurked around here for a long time before signing up. If I had know about all the great resources here and people, I probably would have started my flock sooner. I am at about the same stage as you. Our chicks arrive in February after 4 years of talking about it and just about ready for them.

I ordered from Welp because they are a little closer to Socal. They ship from 3 different locations. I believe they use a New Mexico Hatchery to ship here. I wanted the chicks to have as little time in transit as possible.

Don't wait too long to place your order. I thought ordering in early January would be easy to get a Feb 1st delivery week. I have to wait an extra 2 weeks longer than I thought it would be. Later, I read here at BYC some hatcheries sold out last year. Just FYI.

4. RooManRed

RooManRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Albany Ga.
    [​IMG] and we love pics.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by