My featherless chickens-naked chick fight :-)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by danischi24, Nov 24, 2012.

1. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Here's a video of my crazy new additions. They love to play fight. They are featherless leghorn bantams, crossed with silkies for the skin color. Worth a watch :)
    [VIDEO]

Info on gimpy in the 3rd post.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Can you imagine if they were the size of an ostrich?

What happened to the little fella in the bird cage? I noticed he had a leg problem.

3. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    There wouldn't be many people alive if they were that size!
    The little guy on the left came to me with a badly healed broken leg & I'm discussing amputation & prosthesis with my vet this week. Otherwise, I'll have to put him down because its bothering him but I thought I'd give him a chance first.

4. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Wow, I thought more people would have something to say about featherless chickens! Here are some photos of the two brats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Are they common in your part of the world? I've seen naked chickens before but they were in a research facility. I've never seen a dark one before.

6. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    No, there aren't any here outside research facilities. They consult with me though & said I could have some babies this time as I had a hen of theirs a few years back. The black skinned ones are from silkie out crosses to target the Asian market.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I love chickens and I like Leghorns, but I think I'll draw the line here! Gosh, they are freaky looking [​IMG] Do you need to keep them in a special brooder/coop with added heat? I can imagine they must have difficulty keeping warm...

8. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Yes, that's why the video is red. I keep them under a red heat lamp. I like reptiles & love chickens so I don't mind their looks at all.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Well, birds evolved from lizards... I do believe you found the missing link [​IMG]

10. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Call me crazy, but I think they're cute! Course, I've always had a thing for the stranger breeds :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by