My feed store has Weevils

jolenesdad

┑( ̄▽ ̄)┍
7 Years
Apr 12, 2015
Montgomery, TX
My local feed store has weevils. Like, really bad. Every bag has some sort of weevil in it, inside the bag or on the outside for sure. I bought a bag of rye grass this week and lifted it out of my truck to find a couple hundred weevils on the bed liner of my truck.

this time last year I raised chicks and had three leg issues caused by vitamin deficiency that I assumed was degraded feed.

My horse feed has the most weevils. My chicken feed is typically new enough the weevils are likely coming from other food. I mentioned it to them and they told me to buy DE and mix it into the food. I take issue with this. I don’t use DE because of inhalation risk. I also don’t want to buy a product to treat the food I buy that shouldnt have an issue.

I love to support my local community but am thinking I should get most of my stuff at TSC. They don’t sell my chicken feed but I could drive pretty far (30 min vs 5) to get it if I need to.

what would you do in this situation? Would you continue to buy the weevil feed because it’s just “extra protein”? Would you go elsewhere? Would you have another discussion with the feed store? I don’t think they probably care based on my previous conversation. Maybe a “I have to take all my business elsewhere” would help? Or not.

like I said I love to go there but this is annoying. I feel like they should be doing something either within their storage area or their practices on how much they order and store to handle this issue differently. I feel like the DE solution is questionable at best, dangerous at most. I feel like even the slightest degradation of feed quality is not worth the cost of food. (I buy a fairly atrociously priced non gmo feed that is almost 30.00 per 50 lb)

Am I off base?

I would shop elsewhere while also trying to get them to fix the issue.
I don't think I could trust them in the future given their response to being made aware.
they’re aware. Maybe I could speak specifically to the issue of degraded feed? They don’t believe the weevils are an issue, think they can be treated and just are par for the course in our environment.

maybe I could find a way to show I’m not “grossed out” by the bugs, I’m concerned for my investment and they should be too.

the TSC is new, 10 minutes away, opened within the last 3 months. Other than that the closest competitor is 30 minutes away so they have a handle on people in this area. Perhaps this year will convince them to handle it if they lose enough business....

You're being completely reasonable here. Based on their response to your comment, it sounds like they know they have a pest problem and don't plan on doing anything about it.

I also had to decide to stop going to my local independent feed store for chicken feed due to quality issues with their feed/lack of selection. I still feel bad about it, but in the end I switched to Rural King and haven't had further issues.

they’re aware. Maybe I could speak specifically to the issue of degraded feed? They don’t believe the weevils are an issue, think they can be treated and just are par for the course in our environment.

maybe I could find a way to show I’m not “grossed out” by the bugs, I’m concerned for my investment and they should be too.

the TSC is new, 10 minutes away, opened within the last 3 months. Other than that the closest competitor is 30 minutes away so they have a handle on people in this area. Perhaps this year will convince them to handle it if they lose enough business....

While my usual store has not had bug issues they have had "aged feed" issues. In that case I did not get the response I expected or hoped for. It was an outdated Purina feed. I contacted Purina about it directly and their local rep paid the store a visit. For almost 6 months after that visit the store was unable to stock several varieties of Purina feed. They are doing better now.
If you contact the manufacturer..... There MIGHT be a correction of the issue.

I do find myself at TSC and Bomgaars more often than in years past looking for my brand in the freshest state possible.

While my usual store has not had bug issues they have had "aged feed" issues. In that case I did not get the response I expected or hoped for. It was an outdated Purina feed. I contacted Purina about it directly and their local rep paid the store a visit. For almost 6 months after that visit the store was unable to stock several varieties of Purina feed. They are doing better now.
If you contact the manufacturer..... There MIGHT be a correction of the issue.

I do find myself at TSC and Bomgaars more often than in years past looking for my brand in the freshest state possible.
I had weevils in flour they were a real problem. I read that they soon leave if you put cloves nearby. I did this and they all disappeared overnight.

Just incase you don't know which cloves I mean I'm adding this link, not as an advertisement but for the picture
https://www.worldspice.com/spices/cloves

I had weevils in flour they were a real problem. I read that they soon leave if you put cloves nearby. I did this and they all disappeared overnight.

Just incase you don't know which cloves I mean I'm adding this link, not as an advertisement but for the picture
https://www.worldspice.com/spices/cloves

But don't they just move into other dry goods?

I absolutely would take my business elsewhere. If this wasn't animal feed but people food, would you be ok buying groceries for your family from a place with a known and obvious pest problem, or would you drive a little further to shop somewhere that didn't have that issue?

Back
Top Bottom