1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Female dove finally layed her first 2 eggs. But

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by FrostyWind, Apr 2, 2017.

1. FrostyWind

FrostyWind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2016
    So my Female dove finally made her first 2 eggs The Day before Yesterday, in the night probably. I'm hoping they are fertile but anyways when they hatch (Hopefully) and they are 6 months old and are adults, Would They do Incest? would they mate with their parents or each other if i happen to get 1 male and 1 female? If they ever mate Would there be any Deformities in the chicks or when they are older? Does incest cause Deformities for birds? Or is it normal? I can't find the right answers/info on the web to help me?

Btw is there any chance of the eggs just being infertile? Do females lay 2 eggs every once a month or only 1 infertile egg per month?

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. FrostyWind

Jun 12, 2016
    So this excitement could just be a waste of happiness? [​IMG] Even so, If I left the eggs in the cage would the female go sit on them? Cause these past days, I see both Female and Male sharing their duties sitting on the egg (I'm hoping they are fertile PLEASE!)

I guess line breeding is a bad idea from what the link you send said? So what do I do with eggs if they hatch? Give them away? When to February and September do you mean February to September or just those 2 months?

Thanks for replying

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  5. FrostyWind

Jun 12, 2016
    ****, well hopefully nothing bad goes bad when that day comes, or I hope that something turns up later,

Thanks for feedback, really appreciated it! Lots of awesome info.

Update- I just candled the eggs and they have red veins going around inside the egg, SO IM glad that they are fertile and no need to worry about them being infertile or fertile

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    biophiliac and Hokum Coco like this.
  6. tammyr112

tammyr112 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2017
    How are the babies doing? Did they hatch?

7. FrostyWind

Jun 12, 2016
    Crap I forgot to update my post, Sorry about that, but here they are, Successful hatching and are very Healthy today

[​IMG]
    Family Portrait

[​IMG]
    And here they are at 4 weeks and some days

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    biophiliac and Hokum Coco like this.
  8. tammyr112

Apr 16, 2017
    They are adorable! I can't wait for mine to hatch! They are only about 6 days right now, so I have a time to go.

biophiliac and FrostyWind like this.
  9. FrostyWind

Jun 12, 2016
    Thank you, send us a pic when they hatch, can't wait.
    Also XD my dove pair has mated again not to long ago, so two new addition to the family are on the way!

biophiliac likes this.
  10. tammyr112

Apr 16, 2017
    Be careful to not over breed them. It's very hard on the momma n papa too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by