My Female duck died, and left her mate alone!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by smooches1683, Feb 20, 2011.

1. smooches1683

smooches1683 Hatching

Feb 20, 2011
    We have 3 chickens, and two ducks. A boy and girl. Yesterday a dog wondered into our yard while we were out. A neighbor who witnesses, told us that the dog carreid off our female duck :'( Im worried about the male duck. I plan on getting a new female in the spring. What should I do between now and then? Any signs of depression I should look for?

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    He may immediately start to mope around. If you can get him an adult female now would be best for him.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

did the dog jump a fence? I'd be real concerned about it coming back for your male duck...

4. HamandLily

HamandLily Chirping

Feb 10, 2011
    England, UK
    You need to get him a friend immediatly - when I lost my one of my two ducks, the one left behind went downhill really quickly but luckily I got her a friend in time. I'd also suggest getting a same sex friend - in the spring time, the male will agressivly mate the female so the usual male to female ratio with ducks is 1:3.

Make sure they have a safe pen - are the free range or kept in an enclosure - I recommend keeping them in unless you can supervise them - predators have no mercy [​IMG]

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: