My female duck keeps having egg busts! What do I do to stop this from happening?!

My duck, Willow, a 6-7 year old pekin, keeps having egg busts inside of her. She won't eat oyster shells and I don't know if I should give her food with the amount of calcium they need already in it or not because I have a male in with her. I've heard that the laying food has too much calcium in it for the males and isn't good for them. Is this true and what should I do to keep her from having these problems? Thanks.
I save up all my egg shells then boil them in huge pot of water, rinse them really well and lay them out on huge cookie sheets and let them dry. After they r dry I grind them up in food processor or coffee grinder and sprinkle some on their laying pellets every day! I also have oyster shells offered at all times to my ducks and chickens

I save up all my egg shells then boil them in huge pot of water, rinse them really well and lay them out on huge cookie sheets and let them dry. After they r dry I grind them up in food processor or coffee grinder and sprinkle some on their laying pellets every day! I also have oyster shells offered at all times to my ducks and chickens

Great idea!

The only problem I see is that you are mixing it in with the feed, so the ducks can't control their calcium intake as they would if the calcium source was provided on the side. Excess calcium levels can cause kidney problems and interfere with the proper absorption of trace elements.

Spelling error edit-

Last edited:
Thought this was quite interesting too,

"In avian species that have been studied, harmful calcium levels are actually only slightly higher than required levels. Excess dietary calcium leads to minimal absorption of calcium (and other minerals) and elevated serum calcium. Prolonged hypercalcemia may lead to nephrosis and soft tissue mineralization. "

https://lafeber.com/vet/calcium-in-the-avian-patient/

Back
Top Bottom