My female has started bullying..

Britt712

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
Tennessee
I have 2 female coturnix quail that have been together since they've hatched and have gotten along ever since. They are 9 months old and one of them has started picking on the other.
I am aware that this is bullying behavior because just 20 minutes ago one has started pecking and chasing the other non-stop. I know this is the first time it started because I frequent the area where they stay in the house (yes they are pets).
I have temporarily seperated them for now but I really need help figuring out how to solve this without culling or making the separation permanent.
I have been building them a large outside pen throughout the winter and plan to make it their permanent space starting this spring and I'm wondering if they will stop this if they have a large open space to be in.

Any ideas on what I can do? Other than the bullying they are inseparable and cant be without each other. I'd hate to keep them apart. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

They are likely bored of being cooped up. Finishing the outdoor enclosure soon will definitely be good since they might forget about bullying and become more interested in digging and dust bathing. Maybe getting some more females might help, although hens can be very aggressive to unfamiliar hens.

Quail are like humans. One day of separation might be a vacation for them, then they'll go back to what they were doing before. If you can, try keeping them apart a little longer, perhaps as long as a week. By then, both should be good and lonely and ready to make up.

Back
Top Bottom