1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My female Mallard has a respiratory Problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alli34, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Alli34

Alli34 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Ohio
    I have a duck that is gasping for air she can't breath. I watch my flocky daily! I saw she was not acting right at first I thought she was choking she was not she has some respiratory problem going on. Can someone tell me what to do? The vet told me just to send her off dead and see what happen get her examine by ohio state, I'm like really!!!. I want to help her!!! I've been trying to get her to eat with yogurt and honey but she has enough strength to fight me and bite my finger and not let go and she never does that. I would be doing that if I was having trouble breathing also. It seems like she can not breath out of her nose. I have been giving her worm medicine to see if it was gape worm its been really wet do to the snow then rain we got here. I cleaned out my barn and I make sure bedding is dry each time it rains or snows pretty much check. I have a nice condo coop for them, with nice vents on each side. Could it be mold? I need a opinion and what to do for her!!!! ASAP!! Thank you so much! Also I've been giving her vitamins and apple cider.. Also a antibiotic.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you given her time in a lukewarm tub of water, no soap? If her nares are plugged, she needs to be able to splash her head, loosen the plugs, and snoot them clear.

A couple other possibilities are that the poor little may have picked up a fungal lung infection - there is medicine for that. Or, a bacterial infection - there is medicine for that, too.

Is there another vet you can talk to?

I would make her a tub of lukewarm water for half an hour at least. And I would consider - this is just a thought, I am not a vet - putting one drop of oil of oregano in a half gallon of water and see if she will take a sip or two. The apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon per gallon, is probably as good or better of an idea.

3. Alli34

Alli34 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Ohio
    The First night I brought her inside I let her swim around in the tub. She seem a little better the next day. (Which is today). There are not a lot of vets around here that deal with poultry. :( I considered that it could be a fungal infection. I don't know what to buy that would be safe to give her. That is not prescription but I could get over the counter. I'm willing to do anything. She is a older duck she is about 12.

4. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
  5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  6. Alli34

Alli34 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Ohio
    I wanted to punch him in the face trust me he charged me a arm and a leg just to give me vitamins and tell me that :/ I have Dupont 00502-50 Virkon S, 50 Tablets instead.

7. Alli34

Alli34 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Ohio
    I've have never had a problem with my ducks. I've always had problems with my silkies having respiratory problems and they bounce back. I'm not having much luck with her :(

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Reading your original post, I would pursue the clogged nares. Definitely would give her tub time - it will help you take a closer look at her, also. Please give that a try.

I need to turn in. Prayers for you all.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2... That's what I would want to rule out first. Many things can cause the type of breathing you describe. I personally have seen it in the following:

• Obstruction in esophagus that puts pressure on the trachea
    • Gapeworms
    • Plugged nares
    • Respiratory infection
    • Sinus infection
    • Fungal infection
    • Ascites
    • Intestinal bacterial infection
    • Impending death
    • Air sac mites

If your duck is still eating and drinking, I doubt it's about to die, but I thought I should add it because it is something I have seen too many times.

Gapeworms are not that common (I've only seen them once), but they are treatable with 10% Safeguard at 0.1 ml per pound for three days, but if it were my duck, I would want to treat for capillary worms, too, so I would give 0.23ml per pound for 5 days. That dose for that many days will get 'em all (except flukes).

10. Alli34

Alli34 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Ohio
    Well I tried it, she panicked because she cant breathe she backs up in a corner and just stands there trying to breath. Any other suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by