My female mallard was attacked by hawk!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by liljoshappybirds, Dec 19, 2011.

1. liljoshappybirds

liljoshappybirds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    It is only because I saw it happen that I am sure my female mallard was attacked by a hawk and he tore her right front shoulder up pretty bad. I think he injured her left foot when he dropped her too because she won't stand on it but gives no sign of major injury upon touch.
    I have her in the house and am treating the wound but I am not sure about three things:

1) How can I splint or support the foot until it heals. (There are no broken bones)

2) Can I fashion a cover for the wound for extra protection against contaminants

3) Should I bring her mate in so that he knows she is okay because he keeps calling for her.

Now, the whole story;

I was looking out my kitchen window when I noticed my flock of chickens ALL hunker down at the same time. I immediately went out the door and as I did, I saw this hawk drop my duck. She rolled and I couldn't find her but it was the drake that led me to her by calling her until she answered. I immediately brought her in and assessed her damage.
    She has a large laceration ( approximately 1" wide x 2" long) to the front right shoulder, she is torn to the meat and fat. There are no tears to the muscle and the viscera is still attached. I cleaned the laceration and put antibiotic cream on it. Now I don't know what to do for her foot. She is drinking and in a dark room. Last night I opened the cage to check her and she got out and limped around a little.
    While she is traumatized (I know I would be) she does quack at me here and there. She is alert and moves around her cage. I will do my absolute best to pull her through this. I can't afford a vet but I am seriously considering finding the money somewhere......I just need some advise. These are my first ducks but far from my first injured animals.....

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would bring her mate in to convalesce with her. It will be better for them both. The leg should heal on its own, but you will need to limit her mobility in order for that to happen. (I've had a couple broken legs in ducks and a few sprains- all healed without intervention, but a break takes forever to heal.) The last time I had a wound on a duck I made a dressing of Telfa and Vet Wrap, which stayed in place pretty well. You gotta love that Vet Wrap. I would cover the wound for at least the first few days to keep it moist and get it starting to heal. Once it starts to heal then open it up and let it scab over.

Sorry for your situation. The hawk will be back, so your birds should probably be locked down for a few days. Once a predator has some success they keep coming back for more.

Good luck.

3. liljoshappybirds

Sep 4, 2011
    Her mate is in with her and she is doing great. Her wound looks good and is starting to close....her foot is still weak but she can now stand on it [​IMG]
    We are keeping our fingers crossed that she keeps progressing this well. At this rate and if the wound continues to heal like this, she should be back out in the pen by midweek next week.

4. liljoshappybirds

Sep 4, 2011
    Our girl is doing awesome!!!! Her wound is closed, she is walking on her foot. It is still a little weak but she jumped into her tub today. We have moved her and her mate back outside to a new pen. I hate to enclose them but it is for their safety. I thank God she healed......I would have cried if she hadn't and I don't think she would have done so well if her mate were not with her. I'll probably not panic as much if something like this happens again......[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Nice work. Glad to hear she continues to recover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by