My female quails are fighting. No matter what I do to keep the peace, as soon as I remove their fence the bigger one starts attacking the other.

Zohe

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
How should I go about this issue? Should I get more females so that they arent together all the time? Should I just keep them separated? I don't have any males in my flock so I'm not concerned about that causing their fights. But my main female just seems to hate the other. Not sure how to keep them both happy so I would absolutely love some tips or opinions. Just be kind please, i'm a first time quail owner and I love them so much :)

You only have two birds? Are you certain both are female?
I am certain both are female cause I have them separated by a partition and both of them have laid eggs. I do plan on getting more but I just wanted to see if they would fit into my life and they have and now I just wanna solve their issues then I would love to get more girls.

I find that having 1 male per cage helps keep the peace.
I hard the same but the last thing i want is like a mob mentality thing where they both pick on my smaller female. Is that something to be worried about happening if I add a male?

I hard the same but the last thing i want is like a mob mentality thing where they both pick on my smaller female. Is that something to be worried about happening if I add a male?
Males are usually smaller, so your smaller female may be the same size or bigger than a new male. I wouldn’t add a male though unless you add more hens as well. You will want at least 3+ hens for each male.

This could be a situation where one bird is a jerk and won’t get along with some birds for no real reason. If you are looking to keep Quail, you may need to be prepared to sell or cull one who just won’t live peacefully with the rest. Luckily hens are generally easy to sell. often the best way to go is to get a bunch, and over time sort out the ones that you like best, and get along best, and sell or eat the rest.

Back
Top Bottom