My female Roun might have an abscess! What do I do?

joeynumber1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Southern, NH
A few weeks ago my mom and I saw our female Roun duck limping. We never really got the chance to check it out but we did today. On the right side of her middle toe on her left foot, it looks like she might have an abscess. My mom, who used to work as a vet-tech, can't think of anything else that it might be. So, she took a small needle and, while I was holding Bubbles (the duck with the abcess), she punctured the "bubble" and squeezed it a little bit. What came out was mostly puss and a little bit of blood. My mom had to puncture the abscess again because the first hole clogged up. What came out this time was mostly blood and very little puss, if none at all .If it is an abscess, which I think it is, what do we do to drain the rest of the fluid?

I read the bumblefoot info, but it still sounds like an abcess to me (having not seen it - can you post a photo?). Do you have access to a needless sryinge? I would flush it with diluted betadine, putting the tip of the sryinge into the opening of the wound and pushing in the plunger until no puss comes out. I would repeat this 2X/day for a couple days, following the flushing with a thin layer of Neosporin. That's the type of treatment we did when I was a vet assistant. I think the bumblefoot affects the hock area, not a toe(?)

Quote:
That sounds reasonable
big_smile.png

How about hydrogen peroxide for the same kind of application???

Back
Top Bottom