My female White Campbell always lays one egg by 9am..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jodyb, Jan 17, 2015.

1. jodyb

jodyb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Deep Gap, North Carolina
    Lately she is laying in the evening around 8 pm est.

The shell is extremely thin. Before her shells were very tough. She has begun hiding her eggs and sitting for some hours of the day. Does anyone know what is going on? Could she be laying 2 eggs daily? It is january but I do leave lights on for 14 to 15 house of daylight.

Very puzzled. First time duck owner.

Jody B

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She seems to be going broody and having trouble either getting enough calcium or processing it.

Does she get free choice oyster shell? You can also add calcium gluconate to her water or in her food, or dissolve calcium citrate and put that in her water or her food.

I used a teaspoon of Ca gluconate per half cup of water added to food, but found that Ca citrate pills cost less, so I give 50 to 80 mg of that per duck per day 5 or 6 days a week.

Some folks use Tums - I think that's got 400 mg, so I would not do that daily . . . there are guidelines for amounts of calcium, but from what I have read here and from watching my flock, there is quite a bit of variation in what each duck needs, nutrient-wise.

I also recently read that healthy ducks can store and release calcium but can lose that ability if they get the same amount of calcium every day. I have not vetted that information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by